Simmy heifer...comments please

Help Support CattleToday:

JDI

Reaction score
Purebred Simm. out of WLE Influence X OSU Skygirl..4/21/05 bred to SF What a Dream for an 4/01/07 calf...
Skygirl.jpg
skygirl1.jpg
skygirl2.jpg
[/img]

Nice heifer. The What A Dream Calves are pretty good. What part of Texas are you in--haven't seen grass like that since 2004. :lol:

Yes, she is from H&H..was purchased in the sale last Oct.

Yes , she was shown..was 2nd in class at OKLA. fair last year & 3rd in class at Tulsa.

The heifer is still in OKla. near Weatherford...looks like their grass has really come on since the last 3 weeks of rain there.

I live between Houston & Beaumont & we got grass belly deep right now & can't cut hay because it is to wet...trying to plow for winter rye grass & can't do that either!!!

I too have an HH hiefer from there. she should be calving in the next couple of weeks. Mine is out of a clubby bull though. I do have three bulls we purchased from HH. I am trying to get a steer from there to here now.

JDI":3lh486sv said:
Purebred Simm. out of WLE Influence X OSU Skygirl..4/21/05 bred to SF What a Dream for an 4/01/07 calf...
Skygirl.jpg
skygirl1.jpg
skygirl2.jpg
[/img]
Purebred Simmental?? I have doubts about that. And I know that my perception (eyesight) is questionable at times, but I am having a hard time "seeing" an HH brand!- - -ps - Oh, I hadn't seen the third picture with the HH!

But a FINE heifer, whatever breed she turns out to be. Cross her with a good Terminal Angus bull and you have some real $$$$ on the hoof! If the resulting cross yields a heifer, keep her for a replacement and breed HER back to a Simm Bull. REAL crossbreeding heterosis here!

DOC HARRIS

Doc, I used to think that I could always spot the Limi or Simi heifers even when they are Black. However in this case if they had said they were Pine Drive Big Sky daughters; I would not have doubted it a bit. Really good heifers, though. I think we have reached a point in the beef industry where we really DON'T know what we are looking at without reading the registration papers....and even then I still have same doubts!!

Brandonm2":b5chv52k said:
Doc, I used to think that I could always spot the Limi or Simi heifers even when they are Black. However in this case if they had said they were Pine Drive Big Sky daughters; I would not have doubted it a bit. Really good heifers, though. I think we have reached a point in the beef industry where we really DON'T know what we are looking at without reading the registration papers....and even then I still have same doubts!!
Brandon - You are right on! A clue: the sharply outlined white mark on the belly in the third picture indicated to me that it is Simmental - or, rather, is NOT 100 percent Angus. The sharp line differentiates the Simmental Breed for me. But the significance of optimal importance is minimal.

DOC HARRIS

Doc..
I have seen her dam & she is red with white blaze. I'm impressed enough with this calf to go back & look at her red heifer calf out of What A Dream (looked in May) again. Coming out of WLE Influence I can see the black!!! I will probably breed her to my Simbrah bull TSC Texas Pride for a 3/4 blood next trip...

Come on now. Don't be so hard on Simmental. Angus used Holstein and Herford used Simmental to fix a few problems a couple of decades ago. The Simmental breed-up from Angus based commercial cattle was at first by necessity and now by popularity.

We have a simmental x angus cross steer that I think is 1:1
DSC01621.JPG

Maybe I am immune to the marketing or something but I like black cattle the least.

Ratfish":3hvra3tc said:
We have a simmental x angus cross steer that I think is 1:1
DSC01621.JPG

Maybe I am immune to the marketing or something but I like black cattle the least.
It is not difficult to understand if you think that this example is representative of quality - whatever color! No, what I think you are immune to is the understanding of the principles of "Beef Production and Management and Feeding."

DOC HARRIS

That calf has problems other than JUST genetics. Worms? BVD? severe fescue reaction? Really sucky moma? I would go ahead and dump him (and anything looking like that) and let somebody else try to figure it out.

Latest posts