Simbrah in the Northeast?

Help Support CattleToday:

wag

Reaction score
hello I'm brand new to the board and was wondering if Simbrah would be a suitable breed in Western Massachusetts.
I'm thinking of some calves and heifers and grazing some cows. I have about 100 acres of pretty good pasture.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
wag

WAG, Well I am from the midwest and have not had any simbrah cattle. However i would wonder about their tolerance to cold weather in your climate. Are there some herds close by so you can see how they tolerate the winters from first hand experience? Do you have some lined up already?

I've actually just started thinking about it. No Simbrah around that I know of, mostly Angus, Hereford, Belted Galloway and Charolais.
We get less snow than we used to and it's not that deep freeze we used to get.
What about Limousin?

Jalopy":3kg4xnr4 said:
However i would wonder about their tolerance to cold weather in your climate.

Me, too. I doubt that any breed with Brahman influence, unless it were a very small amount, would do well in northeastern winters. If I remember right, Simbrahs are 3/8 Brahman and that's probably too much for up there.

There are a few earred cattle in the northeast but just like any breed you need to provide shelter and a higher energy ration so they can create more of their own heat. The most important part of deciding on a breed is do you want to be totally unique or do you want to be able to market your animals by traditional methods for your area. If you chose the former then go wild,ie. we have Longhorns here in NY, if you chose the later then go with something you can sell via freezer trade or can tie in with other breeders/ commercial herds to assemble loads headed west. There are a lot of people with opinions on whatever breed but you're the one who has to look at them every morning while drinking your first cup.

They would probably do well enough, although they are less cold tolerant than the British or Continental breeds. However, you'd no doubt take a hit at the auction barn selling the calves. They don't like to feed "earred" cattle up north.

Latest posts