Silage storage options

Help Support CattleToday:

redcowsrule33

Reaction score
We have been putting up corn silage the last few years due to drought. We have access to a large bunker silo with a paved floor. The first year we had a packed covered pile and was unhappy with the waste we experienced on the edges and top (very hard to keep the tires on the sides as rain/snow made them slide off all the time). This year we used a narrow end and packed it using the bunker walls. We have had several heavy rains (uncommon for Dec & Jan up here) which have resulted in losses along the edges where it runs down the walls. We are considering tubes next year but are reluctant due to cost, plastic waste, and raccoons that like to slash them open faster than you can patch them. We have no access to uprights, all the ones standing empty in our area are without unloaders and power. Has anyone had experience with which system tends to do better or are we just too sensitive to loss and need to figure on a certain percentage?

You are always going to have some loss. That is just a given. I make a pile on the ground and it seems to work decent. Make the pile dome-shaped so you can drive on the entire surface of it. The harder you can pack it the less waste you will have. I've heard from several guys that bunkers have the same problem as you with the silage next to the walls spoiling. I wouldn't waste my time putting silage in bags. One hole and you'll have significant oxygen infiltration and subsequent spoilage. I've talked to several guys with bags and they are out every day with a roll of tape repairing the holes from deer, raccoons, etc.

One guy here uses plastic to hold the silage that he cannot get in the uprights. He lays the plastic down and sets round bales on one edge with another row of round bales at the width he wants the pile. The plastic goes over the top of the second row of round bales. He then fills it up, packing it as he goes, and then lays the second side of the plastic back over the pile. That way the sides are made by the round bales and it is piled on top of the plastic with the plastic wrapped back over. Uses old tires to hold everything down.
Still have the racoon problem though. That part me and the hounds help with.

I have a bunker pit and before I start filling I lay plastic on the sides and the bottom of the pit and I have no waste at all on the sides or bottom, but still have some on top. If when filling I get a hole on the side it will spoil some.

If you have a bunker already I would just use that and expect a little waste. I've used bags before and they are nice but the cost is much higher than a bunker and won't pay at least for beef cows. The biggest problem I have from the bunker is I get about 8-10 inches of frozen stuff on the top and upper sides. But the cows will start gnawing on the frozen chunks on warm days. If you have a lot of waste in your daily feeding cut back the amount they get. They should clean everything up. I usually save the last couple loads to lure the cows into a catch pen in the spring and it is pretty rank stuff but after a few days they even have most of that cleaned up.

I would keep using the bunker.

Best method depends on how long you store it... I have held bags for up to 2 years, but the rats and coons got away from me the second year.

In 2007 & 2008 drought years there were guys going around, trying, and buying corn silage for $15 a ton... I think you can afford some storage loss at that point, so I rented a bagger. For normal years, I would rather graze corn than chop it and haul it and store it and feed it and then haul manure back...

Thanks for the responses, we'll stick with the bunker.

Grazing everything is all fine and dandy if your land is contiguous (which ours is decidedly not) or you enjoy hauling cows everywhere (I do not). I admit I am happy when the pastures are ready and all we have to do is rotate, but that won't be for another 3 months. :)

Latest posts