Sickle Hocked

Help Support CattleToday:

I can;t really tell. That white band may make for an optical illusion

Wouldn't call him sickle hocked, but he does stand under himself quite alot. I don't like they way he plants his left rear leg. He looks a little lame, hoof trim, or got hung up in chute recently.

Galloway2":1z7kj2bb said:
Wouldn't call him sickle hocked, but he does stand under himself quite alot. I don't like they way he plants his left rear leg. He looks a little lame, hoof trim, or got hung up in chute recently.
It's interesting that you mention hoof trimming, I looked over some old threads once and I recall that SRBeef bought a bull from Huth, posted some pics, and some people thought it looked like the bull had some hoof problems. Either way I certainly know which bull I won't be bidding on. :cowboy:

I agree with you on the bull in the video you linked to - I dont like the looks of his rear leg either.

However if I had listened to the advice here on my previous Huth bull U070 I would have made a big mistake. His calves about fall out of the back of my cows including heifers and look very good in many other ways. U070's calves have much better front feet than he does. U070 has very good conformation but in the smaller frame size I am looking for.

Jim

I am not vouching for the bull in the video but I am very pleased with my Huth U070 bull. Here is a picture of U070 from March when I gave him and my retained bull a Sunday gentling grain treat. They do not get a significant amount of grain.

IMG_0135_BullU070SundayTreat031112-1.jpg

Just watching the video almost everthing else about the bull looks fine except his rear wheels. It appears to me he has a definite problem there.

Circle H Ranch

Cattleman200":2mr2kz3v said:
Just watching the video almost everthing else about the bull looks fine except his rear wheels. It appears to me he has a definite problem there.

Circle H Ranch
the way the sock is marked coming back at a angle to his hock,.he dont look as bad """to me'' walking back down the fence on his right side

ALACOWMAN":2d0ybhlk said:
Cattleman200":2d0ybhlk said:

Circle H Ranch
the way the sock is marked coming back at a angle to his hock,.he dont look as bad """to me'' walking back down the fence on his right side

I agree. He looks better less sickle hocked as he walks with his left side to the fence, so the mud / white sock illusion isn't as noticeable. I still think he has an issue with his left rear foot placement, as he flat pans it.

SRBeef":820qll8r said:
I agree with you on the bull in the video you linked to - I dont like the looks of his rear leg either.

However if I had listened to the advice here on my previous Huth bull U070 I would have made a big mistake. His calves about fall out of the back of my cows including heifers and look very good in many other ways. U070's calves have much better front feet than he does. U070 has very good conformation but in the smaller frame size I am looking for.

Jim

I am not vouching for the bull in the video but I am very pleased with my Huth U070 bull. Here is a picture of U070 from March when I gave him and my retained bull a Sunday gentling grain treat. They do not get a significant amount of grain.

IMG_0135_BullU070SundayTreat031112-1.jpg
SR I like most of the bulls Jerry has in the sale, I plan on going and buying one, when I first pulled up the video on this bull(the bull in the video) in particular it was evident right away that this bull has something wrong with his rear feet and legs. He has some really dynamite bulls otherwise, I'm a little shocked that this bull(not your bull SR, your bull looks good to me) made the cut.

I wouldn't buy a bull from anyone who sells something like that as a bull regardless of what the rest of them look like. I know it's a respected herd that's put out alot of good genetics but when I see something like that being sold as a bull I have to wonder what lurks in the pedigree of the bull I'm buying. If they'll pass this thing off as sound, what kind of cows are they keeping in the herd and how many of them are related to what they're trying to sell me? :shock:
Alot of foot and leg traits are fairly low on heritability so it is entirely possible for a bull that looks sound but came out of a bull that looks like the one in question to give you a bunch of crippled calves. The only way to solve that is to use generation after generation of sound cattle.

cow pollinater":1d6ti89x said:
I wouldn't buy a bull from anyone who sells something like that as a bull regardless of what the rest of them look like. I know it's a respected herd that's put out alot of good genetics but when I see something like that being sold as a bull I have to wonder what lurks in the pedigree of the bull I'm buying. If they'll pass this thing off as sound, what kind of cows are they keeping in the herd and how many of them are related to what they're trying to sell me? :shock:
Alot of foot and leg traits are fairly low on heritability so it is entirely possible for a bull that looks sound but came out of a bull that looks like the one in question to give you a bunch of crippled calves. The only way to solve that is to use generation after generation of sound cattle.

You bring up some good points. However, at some point you need to trust the person you are buying bulls from. There may be a reason Jerry kept this bull, there may be something temporary wrong with this bull - his bulls have been at a feed efficiency test site for some time. He may have an injury causing him to look like this. The fact the bull seems to be favoring his left rear makes me think there is more to this than meets the eye. I do not believe Jerry would knowing sell a bull with a major problem.

This video was not shot at Jerry's place from the looks of it.

I have been treated very well by Huth and have and will continue to trust his recommendation on bulls. U070 has been an ideal bull for my needs.

I would think at his upcoming sale on May 19th, Jerry would have an explanation for this lot 14 in the video. If nothing else someone may be looking for a deal on this bull...

Jim

Looks like there's a problem on the back legs to me. He also seems to be short stepping it.
Not a smooth gait at all. That alone tells me something is going on.

He has a lot of set, but he is not flexing his fetlock in the left, perhaps an injury, but he doesn't flex well in his hocks either. If it's due to an injury I don't know how wise it is to post the video with no explanation and guarantee stated(just look at all the bad PR he got already on this website). He may be the most athletic bull on the place, but if this video was all I had to look at I wouldn't be bidding.

I agree with many of the posts on this thread. Obviously, there is something that is causing this bull to display the blemish which is manifest in his left rear leg (hoof, ankle, leg, hock(!), or stifle), whether that is "sickle hocked", injury, or an undiagnosed stiffness for some reason. But as one watches the video of his movements, and will carefully 'pause' the action with his hind legs directly under his pin bones - it seems apparent to me that he is sickle hocked - whether that condition is the sole cause of his walking problem or not is debatable. Also, if you will take close note of his hoof, it seems that a trim job could help in some way. A very close perusal of this bull would seem to be in order for future consideration of him as a seedstock candidate.

DOC HARRIS

As a general statement (not saying anything about this breeder), I think if bull prices stay this high there will be many places where the knife gets rustier than usual.

redcowsrule33":3exg47ny said:
As a general statement (not saying anything about this breeder), I think if bull prices stay this high there will be many places where the knife gets rustier than usual.

You are absolutely right, rcr33! And subsequently, the general genetic improvement which has been realized in the last few years as a result of selecting for high "multiple trait characteristics" will begin lurching downward again, and the poor Phenotype, Genotype, and unacceptable Functional trait problems (feet, legs, shoulder, spine, mammary problems, disposition, etc) will manifest themselves in our seedstock, and the negative results will begin all over again!

GREED always rears its ugly head over integrity and honesty. Satan is alive and well!

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts