Cow Hocked?

Help Support CattleToday:

DOC HARRIS":yipre3hr said:
'Nuff said. DOC HARRIS

I disagree. What if everyone who had a curly calf was told . . . "yup, you have a dead calf . . . that's a result of the fact it's really messed up . . . nuff said". WHY was it born dead? Asking that question will better the species. HOW did all that happen with the vertebrae and pelvis and legs and . . . ? It's a scientific inquiry to better the species. You may not find that interesting but I do.

angus9259":3p5zl9qg said:
DOC HARRIS":3p5zl9qg said:
'Nuff said. DOC HARRIS

I disagree. What if everyone who had a curly calf was told . . . "yup, you have a dead calf . . . that's a result of the fact it's really messed up . . . nuff said". WHY was it born dead? Asking that question will better the species. HOW did all that happen with the vertebrae and pelvis and legs and . . . ? It's a scientific inquiry to better the species. You may not find that interesting but I do.

angus 9259, I think you are trying too oversimplify the cause of the condition, like Doc said it could be various contributing skeletal flaws, governed by many more gene combinations. All this is still genetics. It's not as simple as red and black hide colour, if you are prepared to cull based on poor weaning weights where 11 or 12 (if I remember correctly) known gene pairs play a role, why not treat structural flaws the same way. Both will ultimately affect your bottom line.

angus9259":wvnn79bk said:
KMacGinley":wvnn79bk said:
Who are you talking to? The guy said he was going to cull her and hasn't replied since.

Jovid":wvnn79bk said:
I don't think it matters whether it is a recessive or dominate gene trait. What does matter is if a trait (good or bad) shows up then there is a good possibility that that trait will be passed on down the road.

If you don't care whether or not your cattle are cow hocked then continue to breed them and pass that trait on.

If it's not genetic why cull her? If it is, you should cull the animals that produced her even if they had good feet if one is concerned about eliminating it from the breed. The only way to make a determination about FURTHER culling is to understand its origin. If it's recessive, you could breed her to a bull with good feet . . . etc . . . as DOC said re: curly calf . . . no need to cull them all . . . just manage the situation. With structural problems it seems we just cull them all. Just wondering if that's the best practice. Structural problems take a MUCH MUCH MUCH greater toll on the cattle industry than curly calf ever has or will. Seems like a valid thing to inquire about. Perhaps not.

I don't see a need to cull both parents of her, you just wouldn't want to use the same bull again. If another bull produced another cow hocked calf with the same cow, then it may be time to get rid of the cow.

It is a genetic flaw, the same thing happens in canines, and it can be bred out, may take many generations, and may still come back. Question is, do you want to spend all that time trying to breed it out when there are better cattle to work with? It does cause weakness in the rear, it's unstable, and it may cause the cow problems trying to carry the weight of a calf, may even eventually cripple the cow. Is all that worth it? Not to me.