Sickle bar cutter?

Help Support CattleToday:

DustyH

Reaction score
Is a sickle bar capable of cutting tall bermuda? I have some cheyenne bermuda that has gotten very tall and thick. It should have been cut 3 weeks ago, but the rain has not cooperated. I got a 7ft. sickle bar from a buddy that has new serrated blades on it so I can cut it then have a fried come bale it. He said that I would probably have problems with bermuda and a sickle bar. Is this true?

DustyH":3mmkv5aa said:
Is a sickle bar capable of cutting tall bermuda? I have some cheyenne bermuda that has gotten very tall and thick. It should have been cut 3 weeks ago, but the rain has not cooperated. I got a 7ft. sickle bar from a buddy that has new serrated blades on it so I can cut it then have a fried come bale it. He said that I would probably have problems with bermuda and a sickle bar. Is this true?
Sickles cut bermuda ok, as long as its not laying over or infested with cheat or something that will ball up. If its standing up it will cut it, but you might have to go slow if its real thick.... :D

A sickle cutter is all we used to use. It does a pretty good job on Coastal-can't rush it. Doesn't cut Bohia worth a flip though, but neither does my rotary cutter.

What about Fireants. I understand they can be a pain with cycle bar mowers. May depend on how many acres your trying to cover and if there are alot of fireant mounds.

We got a Ford 501 Sickle Mower and it cuts pretty darn good. I have no clue about Bermuda grass though.I would say it would cut it, just go slow.

Latest posts