sick stocker calves in sw Virginia and ne Tennessee

Help Support CattleToday:

vaccine and antibiotics

Sent: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:00 pm
To: cross_7

OK if you use the following:

I see no issue with vaccination and metaphylaxis, from a medical standpoint.

Bacteria in killed bacterins are already dead; antibiotics will have no effect on them or the animal's response to them.
Antibiotics have no efficacy whatsoever against viral agents, so they have no adverse effect on response to modified live or killed viral vaccines.

Modified live viral products(and possibly some killed products) containing BVD virus appear to block effective immune response to bacterins - so, if you want/need those animals to respond properly to a bacterin(Clostridium, Lepto, Vibrio, Haemophilus, Pasteurella/Mannheimia, etc.) don't give those bacterins at the same time that you administer a MLV vaccine containing BVD.

So...I'm not a fan of the combo IBR/BVD/BRSV/PI3 + Lepto formulations - concernd that the BVD component may diminish effective response to the Lepto fraction. Manufacturers may have satisfied USDA requirements for whatever level required for whatever label claims, regarding response to the Lepto bacterin (prevents infection(best), prevents disease(next best) aids in prevention of disease(less good), etc.), but I have some concerns about true efficacy, given what we've learned about immune response/suppression over the last few years.

Latest posts