Sick Looking Pointer

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
We are quite upset right now. Kathy went out to feed her horse and an old dog approached her apparently wanting a friendly hand. He looked like a German Shorthair to me. He is skin and bones, and has two growths on his stomach area. I figure that he belonged to a hunter and was lost or abandoned. But who knows. He is hungry and in bad shape. Kathy took him some dry dog food and he would not eat it. She left it there for him. She said that he was more interested in becoming friends. She really does not care to be to friendly with a strange and sickly animal which is understandable. He is staying under my horse trailer. If he is there in the morning I will call the vet. I hope if he is lost that someone knows something about him. He has a collar but no tags. We will do out best to help him.

If some one dumped him, well I believe we all feel the same about someone that would do something that low.
Tom.

Good luck with him. We are the last house on our road, and there is a wooded area with a sand pit pond just off the east side. Apparently this looks like a great place to dump animals, we've had many strays wander in over the years. Dogs, cats, even a pony.

We once had a purebred English bulldog show up, tried hard to find the owner but couldn't so gave the dog to SIL. Two months later, some wild-eyed redneck from 15 miles away has the sheriff calling us about his "stolen" dog. We had contacted our vet to see who in the area had bulldogs, the vet called a local breeder but they weren't missing any. But later, when the idjit who had bought the dog came over to the breeder's to make his "dog payment" on his then-missing bulldog, they sicced him on us. The in-laws had to give the dog back after their kids got attached to it and they had spent $200 on it.

Update,
Checked on dog this morning and he did not eat the dry food. Moved from under the trailer to under the pick-up. Kathy thinks someone dumped him and he is near death. I feel sorry for him.
Tom.

i hate to say this but id put that dog down.it does no good for yall to worry about him.

Tom it looks like you have 2 choices. Put him down QUICK or get him some help. You can't just let him suffer.

You never know how the Lord will test you on a given day.

Kathy fixed him a bunch of scrambled eggs. He ate all of them then ate the dry food that he would not eat before. Kathy went to town yesterday and when she got out of the car he came over and was wagging his tail and licked her hand. He seems to be doing better and he is eating. He likes it under my pick-up. I was on the tractor today and stopped and talked to him. He seems content. Possibly he was just dumped and hungry. Food can change a skinny animal. He isn't bothering the yard chickens so as long as he is eating and not causing a problem we will feed him and try to find him a good home. We are all going to get old and helpless some day.
Tom.

kerley":1e0hvpbm said:
Kathy fixed him a bunch of scrambled eggs. He ate all of them then ate the dry food that he would not eat before. Kathy went to town yesterday and when she got out of the car he came over and was wagging his tail and licked her hand. He seems to be doing better and he is eating. He likes it under my pick-up. I was on the tractor today and stopped and talked to him. He seems content. Possibly he was just dumped and hungry. Food can change a skinny animal. He isn't bothering the yard chickens so as long as he is eating and not causing a problem we will feed him and try to find him a good home. We are all going to get old and helpless some day.
Tom.
Ah!! No wonder you love your wife! After reading that she made him eggs ~ I love your wife! ;-) And it is good that you talk to him, I'll bet he enjoyed that.
Neat story ~ thank you.

Had a female GSP wander onto my property afew years ago..I took the same approach..figured she was a hunter's dog..had a collar but no tags..looked kinda slim, spayed...and friendly as anything. next morning I found her sleeping on my back porch :shock: I ran ads in the paper for found dog..nothing..then ran ads for free dog and found her a good home. she would ride on the golf cart with me when I fed..she was a pretty neat dog.

Take care of the old man..glad to hear he likes scrambled eggs!

He is getting stronger, and Kathy gives him four scrambled eggs every morning with the dry stuff. He is very timid. Kathy thinks someone was mean to him. He goes down in the pasture to dump which is better than dumping it on the lawn. I cracked up yesterday when he made his way to the pasture and caught the old cow [Sadie] by surprise, he left the pasture fast with one snorting cow close behind him. Kathy bought a large bag of high protein dog chow. I have a feeling this guy may have found a new home.
Tom.

kerley":3osgu2ij said:
He is getting stronger, and Kathy gives him four scrambled eggs every morning with the dry stuff. He is very timid. Kathy thinks someone was mean to him. He goes down in the pasture to dump which is better than dumping it on the lawn. I cracked up yesterday when he made his way to the pasture and caught the old cow [Sadie] by surprise, he left the pasture fast with one snorting cow close behind him. Kathy bought a large bag of high protein dog chow. I have a feeling this guy may have found a new home.
Tom.

Good on ya Tom. :tiphat:

I guess this is what they mean by "Charity begins at home" :clap:

Bless you and your wife for trying so hard for the poor ol' guy. But watch him with your chickens. When he gets to feeling better he might remember he's a bird dog.

MO_cows":h1g1em5j said:
Good luck with him. We are the last house on our road, and there is a wooded area with a sand pit pond just off the east side. Apparently this looks like a great place to dump animals, we've had many strays wander in over the years. Dogs, cats, even a pony.

We once had a purebred English bulldog show up, tried hard to find the owner but couldn't so gave the dog to SIL. Two months later, some wild-eyed redneck from 15 miles away has the sheriff calling us about his "stolen" dog. We had contacted our vet to see who in the area had bulldogs, the vet called a local breeder but they weren't missing any. But later, when the idjit who had bought the dog came over to the breeder's to make his "dog payment" on his then-missing bulldog, they sicced him on us. The in-laws had to give the dog back after their kids got attached to it and they had spent $200 on it.

Honestly I would have just played dumb, said you took it to the Humane shelter, the dog was probably better off with his new family, and sometimes I don't think its bad to tell a lil white lie.

GMN

The Humane Society in our little county consists of my vet's spare kennels and a couple of volunteers. But yes, if the city dwelling in-laws had turned him in to the shelter there and then "adopted" him when he became available, I think they could have legally kept him. But this guy was so upset and so threatening, I would have been very worried about him taking "revenge" on my animals when we were at work. Still have no idea how the dog came 15 miles. He couldn't have walked that far on his own, somebody probably took him, then changed their mind and dumped him. If you were gonna spend $1200 for a dog, wouldn't you go another $20 and get him microchipped??

kerley":2alvg6i8 said:
Tom.

Bless you and your wife's heart Kerley for taking in this old timer!

MO_cows":2jviqszz said:
The Humane Society in our little county consists of my vet's spare kennels and a couple of volunteers. But yes, if the city dwelling in-laws had turned him in to the shelter there and then "adopted" him when he became available, I think they could have legally kept him. But this guy was so upset and so threatening, I would have been very worried about him taking "revenge" on my animals when we were at work. Still have no idea how the dog came 15 miles. He couldn't have walked that far on his own, somebody probably took him, then changed their mind and dumped him. If you were gonna spend $1200 for a dog, wouldn't you go another $20 and get him microchipped??

I agree with you. It takes all kind of people to make a world.

The pointer is doing well. Our daughter Kelly has named him "Ben". He is gaining weight and looks like someone cares about him. He is just a little slick. We usually leave the garage door open during the day when we are home, makes it better for me. Anyway, Ben has moved into the garage. He sleeps on the lower shelf of the storage shelves I built. He has marked his territory, always raising his leg on something vertical. Does not bother the chickens or anything else that we notice. We really did not want another dog after we lost our "Darling Lucy". Kelly took her Chihuahua to the SPCA for neutering, $40. Kathy wants to take Ben there as they are so reasonable compared to the local vet. So I guess all is well for now.
Tom

I think maybe Lucy was looking out for Ben and led him to a family that would give him the love and attention that he needs. You and your family are great, compassionate,and empathetic people . :heart:

I think the neutering is a great idea btw.. :)

Sounds like you've got a new buddy. Amazing what a little food,water and a lotta love can do. :heart: Good idea on the neutering.

Latest posts