Sick Looking Pointer

Help Support CattleToday:

Ben is still sleeping in the garage and doing well. He seems to like it here and has gained weight. I noticed this morning that when he hears a vehicle coming down the drive way he will walk out and stand in the road until he desides who or what goes there. Hope he does not stand in the driveway to long and get run over. I think he is a good dog, I just dont know what for. If he hangs around until he gains another ten pounds I will take him to the Vet and have his health assessed. For now groceries are working just fine.
Tom.

Kathy just came in the house from feeding her horse and told me that "Ben" the pointer had not eaten all day. His food bowl was still full. His bowl was on the ground next to my pick-up. I have been moving some fences and left a shovel and post hole digger leaning against the tail gate next to his bowles. Kathy moved the shovels and the dog started eating. Our conclusion is that someone has hit him with a shovel. Does this sound reasonable or am I loosing it. We have him on antibiotics for an ear infection. We just can not understand how some one could abuse a sweet and friendly pet like Ben. God is going to take care of somebody.
Tom.

Yeah-sombody whacked him with a shovel :mad: Dogs may not talk,but if you pay attention you can tell what kind of home they came from..Glad you got the old boy---sombody tries to claim him-lie-lie-lie..He's been your dog forever.

yes he has had a shovel hoe or something used on him.thats why he would not eat with them there.afraide he would get hit again.

Thought I would post an update on Ben,
Ben has gained lots of body weight. He no longer looks like the starving stray doggie. He now travels the fence line around our home and marks everything. He even barks now but he still stays busy sleeping in the garage where he has clear view of the driveway and the front of our property. Last week we had a visitor and Ben greeted him before he exited his pickup like a challenging watch dog would do. Ben is very friendly and gets all happy when he sees Kathy. If his progress continues we will take him to the vet and buy him a new collar. We have been going slow with Ben to see if works out for our family. So far he has been ok.
Tom.

kerley":2mf2ykr5 said:
Thought I would post an update on Ben,
Ben has gained lots of body weight. He no longer looks like the starving stray doggie. He now travels the fence line around our home and marks everything. He even barks now but he still stays busy sleeping in the garage where he has clear view of the driveway and the front of our property. Last week we had a visitor and Ben greeted him before he exited his pickup like a challenging watch dog would do. Ben is very friendly and gets all happy when he sees Kathy. If his progress continues we will take him to the vet and buy him a new collar. We have been going slow with Ben to see if works out for our family. So far he has been ok.
Tom.

Bless Kathy and your's hearts Tom..every old dog deserves such a home as yours. :D

Sarah

About Ben.
The last couple weeks Ben has lost his appetite. He has two tumours hanging off his belly that have swollen and are bleeding. He is very weak and sleeps alot. This morning he had expelled bloody rectal mater all over the garage floor....I sadly put him down. It was difficult to do but the best for Ben. I don't know where he came from or how he was treated. I only know that we did all we could do to make him comfortable to the end. Ben R.I.P.
~Tom

Oh, I am so sorry. I know it's always sad to put them down, even though it is the right thing to do. Lucky for Ben he had sense enough to take up with kind-hearted people.

I'm glad you had the guts to do what needed to be done. Y'all gave him a good life,warm,fed and loved. Bless you.

peg4x4":8urop3ts said:
I'm glad you had the guts to do what needed to be done. Y'all gave him a good life,warm,fed and loved. Bless you.
Peg, I know I had to man up and do what needed to be done, I just feel like a big old chicken shi...for doing it.
~Tom

Dogs don't know "if",they only know they are weak and hurt and that the "wolves" are coming. I know you wish something else could have been done,but it couldn't. I've had to shoot two dogs in my life,both hit by cars,both unfixable. So I shot them. Still hate it.

Latest posts