sick horse

Help Support CattleToday:

Carlos D.

Reaction score
Have 9 year old mare - turned up not well --mostly arab , and boss of the herd--yesterday I seem to think she might have bowl problems --last night she did poop seemed to work hard at it ate some 2nd cut alfalfa 1/2 hour later tore the the road at full speed -so i thought she was ok--this morning not well again bit of green snot on her nose and dirty -like shes laying in manure over night -not typical of her at all--my vet booked till dec 15 --not a very good horse vet anyway-- any old horse guys got any suggestons

Hey Carlos,

Two suggestions:

1. First she could have a limp node (sp) infection in her throat causing her problems eating and causing the green discharge from her nose.

2. Could be a "choke" problem, caused by not enough moisture with the hay, and causing a green discharge from her nose.

In either case soak the hay for 15 or 20 minutes before you feed her. If it is the limp nodes, you should be able to feel a soft swelling in her throat on either or both sides, a few inches under the jaw. Needs Antibiotics to correct. If it's because of not enough moisture than it can be fixed by soaking the hay and increase the amount of water she has as well as giving her soaked grain or beet pulp.

Good Luck,
Alan

:x Possible impaction colic. Hard, small fecal balls? Straining to poop? Has she enough clean fresh water? I had horse that
refused to drink from the tank, turned out the deicer had a
short in it and the water had a faint zip to it. the horse is fine,
but ended up at the horse hospital for IV therapy and mineral
oil to the tummy via tube! :roll:

Latest posts