Sick Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a 5 day hereford calf,found her cold yesterday.Brought her in the house warmed her up.Found out that the mom has no milk.She was always sucking on her and seemed just fine.Well she drank about 2 pints yesterday and has drank 4 pints of electrolytes today and 2 pints of milk replacer today.She seems weak at times but then she will get up and walk around or just stand for 15 min.Now she has blood in her stools and seems kinda slimy.I gave her some penicillin and probios.Is there anything else I can do for her?? I still have her in the house, I feed her every 3-4 hours,takes in about 1 pint at a time.I figure that way it will stay in her longer.Any advice would be helpful.

THANX

[email protected]

> I have a 5 day hereford calf,found
> her cold yesterday.Brought her in
> the house warmed her up.Found out
> that the mom has no milk.She was
> always sucking on her and seemed
> just fine.Well she drank about 2
> pints yesterday and has drank 4
> pints of electrolytes today and 2
> pints of milk replacer today.She
> seems weak at times but then she
> will get up and walk around or
> just stand for 15 min.Now she has
> blood in her stools and seems
> kinda slimy.I gave her some
> penicillin and probios.Is there
> anything else I can do for her?? I
> still have her in the house, I
> feed her every 3-4 hours,takes in
> about 1 pint at a time.I figure
> that way it will stay in her
> longer.Any advice would be
> helpful.

Blood in the stool of a 5 day old calf is very likely salmonella and can be treated with oral sulfa pills, ask your vet for dosing info. This calf will get dehydrated very fast so watch carefully. Good Luck

[email protected]

Ofcourse nuflor and micotil antibiotics penicillen la200 electrolytes feed him egg yolks gatorade sulfa drugs.That is some of the things I have been advised to do.However I can't imagine taking a calf in the house let alone a calf with the bloody scours.I would rather try the barn or a shed just to get him out of the rain and snow.GOOD LUCK! keep us posted.

[email protected]

Latest posts