Sick calf need help

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I just purchased a heifer calf angus cross. Before transport she got a shot of LA200. Day after she got here she started foaming coughing sticking her tongue out she separated her self from the herd she eats very little and does not drink much her left side is distended slightly and she does not seen to have the energy she should have. Not sure if its discomfort from bloat she has farted once but has not burped. She has healthy stool and urination has some clear color to it. Need some input before I run her through the chute I don't want to cause any more stress than what is needed. Thanks to all who pass on advise

The separation from the herd is normal when you bring a new heifer into your herd. The fact that she is still eating and drinking is a positive thing. IF it is indeed bloat, (which sounds like it is) then if you havent taken care of a calf with it before, I would suggest taking it to the vet or having a vet come out to do it.

She is not the only heifer I bought she came with 5 other heifers they have integrated just fine. She was good for the first day then she started with the foaming of the mouth which has since stopped. She is now just lethargic and coughing. I don't think I'm at a point to where I need a vet just yet. The bloat seems to subside at night when it's cooler and gradually comes back during the day she is in a barn out of the sun. I guess the question is will this go away on its own in time or should I drench her with mineral oil and water. Also if I do drench her can I mix with electrolytes to help her hydrate quicker?

Take her temp, then call the vet. If you wait much longer, might not need the vet or there will be nothing the vet can do, or any advised treatments will not work.
Sounds like a case of pneumonia to me JM2C

rockridgecattle":1mf9plgw said:
Take her temp, then call the vet. If you wait much longer, might not need the vet or there will be nothing the vet can do, or any advised treatments will not work.
Sounds like a case of pneumonia to me JM2C
Sounds like it to me too.

Thanks for the advise turns out finding a large animal vet here in the valley turns out to be quite rare the one I did find had me do a number if things. I tubed her drenched her with bloat treatment. Treated for pnemonia. All did not work poor girl never got better but also didn't get worse. She had me what she called ping her on her right side she said if you here a thump she's fine if you here a ping she needs to have surgery cause she has a twisted stomach. I have heard of this before but never in a young beef cow so I did it and heard a definite ping. Plus she was running a bit of a fever at 104.3 so the doc thought she may have an underlying infection. So being as I am a super small operation I can't afford the surgery for her I was gonna have to put her down I could not butcher her cause she had just been given meds so what I did was call the guy I bought her from and asked him if he wanted her back for a trade of different cow he agreed and he will get her fixed up and she will have the chance to grow reproduce and be stake someday. Thanks for all the input from all you. I know the guy didn't have to replace her but thanks to him I'm out only a little bit if money and have a healthy little calf on the ranch

Latest posts