sick calf first scours now pushing

Help Support CattleToday:

Sampsonfarms

Reaction score
We rarely see scours in our herds, but came across one 2 month old calf that was scouring.
First few days very running, but still nursing.
For last 2 days the calf seems to be pushing non stop, rear is dry, but we beleive not nursing as cows bag is full.
Saw calf drinking out of water trough, but still looking rough.
Caught calf and gave scour bolous, banimine and nuflor, turned back out with mom.
If he is not doing better by tomarrow we will have to catch and bring back to the house.

Any idea what would be causing the constant pushing?
thank you, Janet

That is quite common with scouring calves ,you just have to be careful that they don't prolapse. Is it cocsidiosis?

That is the concoction I like to use as well, but if no response switch to a sulfa based med like Trivetrin without the Banamine unless there are lung issues.

What is the temp on the calf? Is it still eating hay/grass?

As HD suggested get a temp on the calf . We are getting into the time of year when Salmonella comes to mind . At this point I think you're dealing with a respiratory problem, probably as a result of a secondary infection following Salmonella or Coccidiosis . Hopefully the drugs you have given will give good results .

Larry

went out this evening to check on calf.
He was up grazing with the herd, not pushing and looks as though he may have
nursed mom some, her bag was looser on one side.
He was still walking as though his stomach hurts but at least he is grazing again.
crossing fingers that all will work out
thanks for the replies, I had never seen a scour calf push continuiously, I was afraid he
had blockage or twisted gut.

Janet

Latest posts