Showmanship question-

Help Support CattleToday:

JstHerfIt

Reaction score
When the judge walks behind my calf when we're set on profile should I square the rear feet?

When setting up on profile you set the rear leg closest to the judge back and the front slightly forward, correct? If he/she walks around the calf should the legs be switched?

I've always been taught to keep them square as possible- neither leg should be front or back. they should always be side by side and apart. Thats just what I've been taught. I only show at the local fair so maybe its just a thing thats never been picked apart there.

I like to have the front feet together and the outdie back leg kicked back just a hair from the right leg.

I have been taught when the judge is looking at your calf's rear have those back legs as square as possible. but if you are lined up to where the judge is looking at your calves side then the back foot on your side should be pulled forward just a little bit.

yeah from the rear profile you always want your legs squared up as best as you can get them. this is also when you want to give them a good loin right before he gets to you. from the side profile you do not leave them squared up. you want to offset the back legs just enough so both legs can be seen but not too much. and you want to pull up the back leg that is on your side of the show halter if that makes it easier to understand. ubt like i said from the rear make them square. from the side offset them

Maybe I should have been clearer. Ok I'm set on profile in a head-to-tail line up, (not side-by-side). We're set on "profile" like a professional photographer was taking our picture. The judge is on the "show" side, (cow's right), he/she walks behind each calf to look down it's back. When the judge comes behind my calf should I square the back feet, the re set them? Then, when the judge goes to the "showman's" side, (cow's left) should I change the profile view? Any other showmanship tips would be appreciated- I'm not great in showmanship.

Texas26steerjock":3242tdkh said:
yeah from the rear profile you always want your legs squared up as best as you can get them. this is also when you want to give them a good loin right before he gets to you. from the side profile you do not leave them squared up. you want to offset the back legs just enough so both legs can be seen but not too much. and you want to pull up the back leg that is on your side of the show halter if that makes it easier to understand. ubt like i said from the rear make them square. from the side offset them

Ok, that helps some...

Cowboy 2.0":1t4pm0bn said:
I like to have the front feet together and the outside back leg kicked back just a hair from the left leg.

This is correct, always, for a profile. When you line up facing the rail/fence, the back legs should always be straight down from the hip, and the front legs straight from the shoulders.

Remember, Showmanship is always won at home. Any good Judge will look at the calf's condition, hair coat, grooming and fitting. They love to see a calf that sets up perfectly in the ring without the exhibitor using the show stick. This happens because the calf has been set up and walked at home EVERY day, many times a day. Also, every calf has a walking speed where it looks best. Find out what yours is, and make learn to make your calf stay there all the time. The best Showman in the ring is usually the one who has to work the least to make his calf appear it's best.

JstHerfIt":3su6d4mk said:
Maybe I should have been clearer. Ok I'm set on profile in a head-to-tail line up, (not side-by-side). We're set on "profile" like a professional photographer was taking our picture. The judge is on the "show" side, (cow's right), he/she walks behind each calf to look down it's back. When the judge comes behind my calf should I square the back feet, the re set them? Then, when the judge goes to the "showman's" side, (cow's left) should I change the profile view? Any other showmanship tips would be appreciated- I'm not great in showmanship.

I would just leave them when the judge comes behind you in this situation. The outside leg shouldnt be too far behind the inside one. Plus, there is the chance of doing more harm than good when trying to reset the calf while the judge is looking at it. I try to mess with the calf as little as possible when the judge is looking right at it.

when you are on the profile position and he comes to look at it from behind just leave his legs offset a tick. only square him up when he has the calves facing the rail and is looking at them from behind. any more questions?

Res-Grand-Chi-Female.jpg

rear
Res-State-Group-of-3-Tenn.jpg

on the profile i would leave the feet just like they are in the top picture, even when the judge walks behind you

Ok, so what if the judge walks around to the showman's side, should I change the profile? Or do I always keep it like the picture no matter where the judge is?

Texas26steerjock":2w8g21jp said:
when you are on the profile position and he comes to look at it from behind just leave his legs offset a tick. only square him up when he has the calves facing the rail and is looking at them from behind. any more questions?

Yeah another question-

How should I fit for Showmanship? I've had a few people tell me, "Leave the legs alone, just comb them and spray a little sheen in the hair." They said if you polish the calf up, (like showing in a breeding class) it distracts the judge. Now in horses the judge looks at how well you can clean the horse up and how "good" you can make them look. Wouldn't it be the same in cattle? Shouldn't we go to extremes making them look good as to show the judge how much we know about grooming and fitting? So how should I fit for showmanship?

Texas26steerjock":5uhne5kh said:
keep it the same. no change is required.

I agree.

I would say you should fit the animal as if it were in any other class. Seems to me as if you would get discounted if you took an animal out into the ring and it were not completely groomed. Might come off as lazy or if you are trying to present the animal in the best possible way. I know I spent a few extra minutes on details on my animals before showmanship. Any advantage you can get is helpful. I would think it would be more of a distraction if the judge noticed you slacked on the legs versus if he/she saw them completely fit.

Depends per calf. For example, I had a calf that was up in her top, ill stretch her out just a little, and it will make her look better in her top. Pick whats best for the calf.
d6cattleman

JstHerfIt":8tkbwijt said:
Texas26steerjock":8tkbwijt said:

Yeah another question-

How should I fit for Showmanship? I've had a few people tell me, "Leave the legs alone, just comb them and spray a little sheen in the hair." They said if you polish the calf up, (like showing in a breeding class) it distracts the judge. Now in horses the judge looks at how well you can clean the horse up and how "good" you can make them look. Wouldn't it be the same in cattle? Shouldn't we go to extremes making them look good as to show the judge how much we know about grooming and fitting? So how should I fit for showmanship?

I never fit for showmanship because after you get out of showmanship, you can let your calf lay down and they don't have to stand up for a long time.

personnaly from my experiences i always take them in fitted up. shows that you have gone that extra mile to proove your a better champion. i have also sen it where evryone agreed to not fit. but i prefer to have them lookin the part.

Latest posts