Showmanship question-

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't use any adhesive except tailheads in Showmanship. But, otherwise they're fully fitted and we usually do very well in Showmanship.

I've never seen a Showmanship contest that didn't specify whether it is a Fitted, or Blow and Show.

its up to you. sometimes i have just sheened them up and had them looking all fluffy with the exception of gluing the tailhead. its a preference.

JstHerfIt":1ebwm5pn said:
Maybe I should have been clearer. Ok I'm set on profile in a head-to-tail line up, (not side-by-side). We're set on "profile" like a professional photographer was taking our picture. The judge is on the "show" side, (cow's right), he/she walks behind each calf to look down it's back. When the judge comes behind my calf should I square the back feet, the re set them? Then, when the judge goes to the "showman's" side, (cow's left) should I change the profile view? Any other showmanship tips would be appreciated- I'm not great in showmanship.

When lined up head to tail pull the calfs back foot on your side forward then when the judge walks behind him square him up. I'm not sure about when the judge is on your side.

Grand Chaser":3rs70koh said:
JstHerfIt":3rs70koh said:
Maybe I should have been clearer. Ok I'm set on profile in a head-to-tail line up, (not side-by-side). We're set on "profile" like a professional photographer was taking our picture. The judge is on the "show" side, (cow's right), he/she walks behind each calf to look down it's back. When the judge comes behind my calf should I square the back feet, the re set them? Then, when the judge goes to the "showman's" side, (cow's left) should I change the profile view? Any other showmanship tips would be appreciated- I'm not great in showmanship.

When lined up head to tail pull the calfs back foot on your side forward then when the judge walks behind him square him up. I'm not sure about when the judge is on your side.

Ok, thanks!

JstHerfIt":1khb5l9v said:

I would change it if your heifer is trained well enough to be able to move her feet and not get her completely stirred up. I have seen many showman move the feet on the profile and move them back when the judge moves from behind the heifer. It's really your call on each individual heifer.

farmwife":32oeiaop said:
JstHerfIt":32oeiaop said:

I would change it if your heifer is trained well enough to be able to move her feet and not get her completely stirred up. I have seen many showman move the feet on the profile and move them back when the judge moves from behind the heifer. It's really your call on each individual heifer.

NO!!! You should always get your calf set asap, and never be changing anything when the Judge is looking. If you're rearranging the feet when the Judge is right there, he knows you are a novice, no matter how good everything else was done.

AngusSenorita":3oootzno said:
I have a showmanship question too

should you have your arm extended or slightly bent when showing?

It's really just a personel preferance. Heifer people tend to show with their feet together and their arm straight and steer people tend to look more relaxed in the ring with feet seperated and arm bent.

AAOK":3vjkv1wz said:
farmwife":3vjkv1wz said:
JstHerfIt":3vjkv1wz said:

NO!!! You should always get your calf set asap, and never be changing anything when the Judge is looking. If you're rearranging the feet when the Judge is right there, he knows you are a novice, no matter how good everything else was done.

Duh!! Not while he's looking, but if you see him coming down the line looking at rear views when you're lined up head to tail, I'd say it's okay -- of course not every heifer is trained well enough to do this, so it's the handlers call. I have had a couple of heifers that I could do anything with at any time, but the rest of them, when I had them stuck I didn't move them and prayed they wouldn't move themselves.

And by the way, there's no need to scream at me just because you disagree.

Cowboy 2.0":1z9l89oc said:
AngusSenorita":1z9l89oc said:
I have a showmanship question too

should you have your arm extended or slightly bent when showing?

It's really just a personel preferance. Heifer people tend to show with their feet together and their arm straight and steer people tend to look more relaxed in the ring with feet seperated and arm bent.

So what's more correct? Arm extended or bent, feet together or not?

In my experience there are no definitive answers for showmanship, or as we call it, handlers, because all judges are slightly different, as are the handlers. My advice would be to keep it simple, do what you are comfortable with, watch the more experienced handlers at the shows and listen carefully to what the judge says and you will pick things up and get better as you go along.

My advice is: be natural, don't try to 'pose', and make sure it's your animal you are showing off, not yourself. Too many times I see kids out there putting on these poses which look entirely unnatural and which detract from the most important element- the animal. Everybody has their own style, just go with what you are comfortable with. Don't try to mimic another person just because they've won once or twice... what works for them might look terrible with you.

Here's my advice in regards to posture:

Stand with good posture. If you want your animal to stand up and look good, you do the same. Feet a little less than shoulder width apart, and not together. Stand facing the shoulder of the animal, roughly a 45degree angle. When the judge walks to you, or past you, take one side step to move and then move the one step back. Dont do a lot of moving around, its unnecessary. As for the arm, do what you want, but look relaxed and comfortable and confident in what you do.

Latest posts