showing cow/calf pairs

Help Support CattleToday:

limi chick fitter

Reaction score
i think im going to show a cow/calf pair for a while.. but my question is.. when traveling with the calf.. do you tie the calf up or let the calf turn loose in the trailer? it's only a bumper pull trailer and 2 steers will be in there with them. it's also intended for horses so it's not a trailer intended for cattle so the place where i could tie the calf is pretty high. the calf is almost a month old (born may 19th).

also, when showing.. on the profile.. does the calf go behind the cow or beside the cow? it'll be my first time to show a cow/calf pair.

We transport horses and cattle in our trailer.

I never tie anything because it is a stock trailer - to easy to get hung.

I do try to sort - size. In other words the big stuff goes on one compartment and the little stuff in another.

Made the mistake of not doing this one time. Emergency stop due to a drunk driver. Cow fell and crushed a real nice calf.

Bez?

How long is your trailer?

When we have a baby calf, we put a piece of a cow panel at an angle in the front corner of the trailer, makes a triangle spot for the baby to lie down on hay. Tie mom to other side of trailer with extra rope so that she can still touch baby through the panel. Everything else is tied further back in the trailer.

mom

since the trailer is intended for horses.. at the front of the trailer it has a tack room and so the actual place where the animals are at is slanted. it's not a very big trailer.. it will fit my cow with calf in the front (i was thinking of the same thing.. putting a pannel up so calf would stay put but i didn't know) and then it can fit 2 smaller others (since my cow is pretty big).

When you show a cow/calf pair, the placement of the calf is determined by the weakness in the mom. If the cow has a weak bag, then you would use the calf to hide it. If she has shoulder issues, move the calf to the front. Our cows are okay if the calf is behind them, but some cows will act stupid if the calf is not directly in front of them. Also, if someone is showing the calf for you and you place the calf in front part of the cow, be sure that the cow doesn't drill them with her head. Good luck.

CA-Cow-Calf-Champ-s.jpg

This is how we do cow/calves. This was the Grand Champ Chi cow/calf pair last year.

We ended up buying the calf 6 mos. later.

Latest posts