Should I buy these heifers? Im a newbie

Help Support CattleToday:

The price doesn't seem bad... I personally like keeping my own replacements, but if these are looking like significantly better than what you are working with now, it could be a worthwhile shortcut to improving your herd. I've found it easier to breed good traits into the herd than bad traits out of it though... If your cows have a reasonable calf every year, acceptable tempers, good udders, hooves, etc, I'd say you're off to a pretty good start with what you have.

With a big herd dispersal coming up, I might wait... Perhaps, if it's possible, talk to the farm owner and get a feel for what he has that's done really good for him. If I was in the market for animals and there was a herd dispersal sale, I wouldn't hesitate to get an 9 year old cow that's in good shape... Her serious defects would have shown up by then if she had them. You'll probably get the older ones for pretty much meat price, which means there's nothing to lose on the well-proven cows.

The biggest problem I see here is you are a newbie and heifers are a crap shoot.
IMO you would be better off with older heavies. Even SS heavies until you got your feet wet.
These girls will know how to work and didn't get to that stage in life not working.

Excuse me!
But what breed heifers are we talking about? And what breed is the bull?
Seems to me that you should be more concerned about the heifer's background then the bulls.
After all is said and done : You are buying the heifers, not the bull. :2cents:

NC Liz 2":1p06ikze said:
Excuse me!
But what breed heifers are we talking about? And what breed is the bull?
Seems to me that you should be more concerned about the heifer's background then the bulls.
After all is said and done : You are buying the heifers, not the bull. :2cents:
Another example of your ignorance. There's no excuse for that :2cents:

Latest posts