Should I buy these heifers? Im a newbie

Help Support CattleToday:

hicky214

Reaction score
Well as I have posted before Im a New one in this "business". Im spending 50 times what I'm making but to be honest Im loving it. I grew up with cows now at 33 and with plenty of land available I'm getting back in. So I am buying cows slowly. But most of what I have looked at has been culls and junk. I was coming home from work today and I was following a trailer full of hay. So I pulled in when the man turned and asked if he was looking to sell any hay as I need enough to get me through. Long story short he has 220 head and he has 10 nice looking heifers that have been bread to a registered easy calving bull. Roughly 16 months old and 800-900 pounds. He said he would take 1200.00 for them. I have never had a heifer and have read the stories. But I am in this for the long haul and I need some breeders. All of my cows are 5-8 year olds and all up to calve by May. They have been vet checked. She said one was 8 months pregnant 29 days ago and she calved today. But looking towards the future what should a younger farmer do? The heifers have been with the bull for around 2months so one assumes they are bread but I don't want to purchase an unbread heifer

I appreciate all of your advice

Red Bull Breeder":2f0g1le0 said:
Do you really want in the cattle business. If you do what are you waiting on.
I agree, the first set of heifers I calved out was a pot load. The experience in priceless. You will have to do it sometime...

I wouldn't buy them if you don't have a bull for them to be with a while longer. Other than that I think they would be fine.

There alot to go back and forth on about heifers, I don't keep many anymore because I can sell them and buy a bred cow for just a few hundred difference and make money quicker. But honestly I think as long as there good, heifers are sometimes the best way to go.

Personally, I'm not sure heifers are for a newbie. If you are concerned about them bred, you could have them palpated, or blood tested. I understand what you are saying about buying culls. If you are dilagent, you may find a herd dispersal. They would probably be better cows. On the other hand, not to contradict myself, but the best way to have young cows is by keeping or buying heifers. Always pursue the best possible bull you can afford, and each generation keep breeding up. Best of luck, we all started one day.

That would be a pretty good price on those heifers in my area.
I would have them palpated before buying.
Calving out heifers is not that bad. Just keep an eye on them and jump in and help if necessary. All of those things that can go wrong, also can go wrong with mature cows. You have to start somewhere.
I think that the guy you are buying them from would appreciate your repeat business, either for replacements or for hay. Plus he lives nearby. So he has a reputation at stake and you know where he lives. I don't think he would steer you wrong, my gut feeling.
Do the heifers seem gentle/docile?

If they're really that big buy them all. Don't worry if they're bred or not.wait a couple months and then get them all pregged and sale any that r open. You should make $$ on them.

I agree with most. In my area that would be a good price, and as Pied said, you can later preg check and sell those that aren't bred!
Good luck! Post pics!

I'm confused, stupid or both. Doesn't OP say they were vet checked. If so, would'nt the guy been told if they were open. Or is he saying his cows were checked. For me I would want to see the numbers on this bull, for heifers that size. Not to mention 16 months is awful early for them to be calving will probably stunt them some. But then again for the money it may work out fine. "no risk no gain" . JMHO B&G :2cents:

Red Bull Breeder":yzt18bov said:
I read it to say the heifers were 800 to 900 hundred lbs and had been with the bull to months. Sounds like a decent deal to me.

I agree. Go for it. Not a bad price, and if they look good, what have u got to lose?

Ok well I got a little more info on these heifers they are roughly 16-18 months old bull was just pulled out he was in 3 months. I did get some info that a gentleman that bought some heifers from this man last year lost a heifer and several calves. I would make sure they where preg or I would not purchase. They look really good but looks can be deceiving. I did get the Bull certification papers but I might as well be reading greek. I did read them to a man that is all into the numbers and he advised they are close to what he calls a true easy calfing bull advised ced was a little low for his liking. We have a big sale coming in 2 weeks of 550 head farm dissolving I might wait.

The idea that they could have been bred at 13 months isn't just real good IMO. They may have been big enough but I think it's to young.

Any group of heifers could be a month to two months apart in age. Not a big deal if they are 13 months or 15 month old heifers in the same group.

How do you market the calves? What are your goals in that area. Depending on your answer, you might want to be a bit more picky on what you buy.

Btw, don't let others spend your money

Not knowing the prices in your area, I can only tell you $1200 for a bred heifer out of the pasture here is a good price. Based on what I've been seeing at the sale recently, you can get a decent light bred heifer around here for $1200. Most out of the pasture are $1500 and up. If I was in your shoes, depending on the bull they were exposed to and the frames on the girls you are looking at, I wouldn't be afraid to pick up a few if they are confirmed bred. All things considered, I would prefer to buy younger cows that have had a live calf and have been bred back. But if the price is right and I know who I am buying from, I wouldn't have a problem taking a gamble on bred heifers either. At the end of the day, it's your money at risk either way so you have to do what you feel comfortable with.

If you still have the numbers on the bull they are exposed to, post them up here. I'm sure some of these more knowledgeable guys can pick the numbers apart and give you a good idea of what you are looking at.

I just sold some 650 weight heifers that we're open for 1100 dollars so the price you're talk in about is a great deal. Do you mind sharing us the bulls info? We might give you some insight as to how his calves will do when bred to heifers.

Kyle

Latest posts