Shotgun

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
I have a grandson I am going to start out on a 20 gauge this year. I have a Model 12 set back for him when he gets old enough to appreciate a fine gun.
What do ya'll think of a Mossberg 500, I have never owned one.
Looking at the lower end guns to start him on, all the other makes look and operate like crap when cycled.
If he drops it in the creek or out of the boat I won't be upset.

We call them guns 'Marsh terds" Back when I was knee high to a bullfrog, my dad bought me a Winchester youth model 20 gauge. 3 chokes, pump, 3" shells. Was real short. We both still take that gun out hunting on occassion.

Mossbergs are the Savages of the shotgun world. Not appreciated nearly as much as they should be. I think of them as jack handles. Not fancy but they do the job they were designed for very well. There are 2 types of Mossbergs, I think the cheaper one may have another name, just make sure when you get it that it has 2 action arms instead of just one. That's the difference between the good Moosbergs and the cheaper one. A single action arm can cause binding where the double ones eliminate it.
Mossberg also used to have a youth model that you could get with a short stock with I think less drop at comb and then add a standard stock at a later date.

I think the Mossberg would be a good choice or pick a good used Remington 870 Express.

My first shotgun. Stopped using it for a while.

Now I'm back to using it, and shoot again like the good ole days.

Get him the model 500, it will always be his favorite.

p10102322.jpg

I always have to laugh at why people always feel the need to start young shooters with a 20 guage. :lol:

If you like 20 guages fine... but there is not need to start at a 20 and then move them to 12. Just start with a 12.

Not a fan of Mossberg,, no replacement for a good youth model 870. When they get older you can buy a full size stock off e-bay for like $30 or $50.

I have owned several Mossberg Model 500. They are a very well built rugged Shotgun. Excellent buy for the money. I prefer a synthetic stock and forearm

ROCKSPRINGS":1swg106r said:
I forget the brand but I started with a "Sweet 16" Don't even remember what I did with it but sure wish I still had it.

The Browning was known as the sweet sixteen

Caustic Burno":rnzfj9pv said:
I have a grandson I am going to start out on a 20 gauge this year. I have a Model 12 set back for him when he gets old enough to appreciate a fine gun.
What do ya'll think of a Mossberg 500, I have never owned one.
Looking at the lower end guns to start him on, all the other makes look and operate like crap when cycled.
If he drops it in the creek or out of the boat I won't be upset.

I don't know how much you value the Model 12 as a shooter or a display case gun, but I remember being given crap to shoot ( 16 ga single), the idea being it would make me a better hunter.

What a load of crapola, I remember all the doubles and triples I missed after slugging my way into swamps and marshes, because people underestimated what I was capable of.

Old enough to hunt - give him the right tools. The gun I value the most is the 870 I bought with my own money at about 14 and that weapon becomes a part of me when I take it up.

Let your lad have a chance at becoming so intimatley attached to the Model 12 it becomes a part of the whole hunting/shooting growing up experience.

The gun deserves it. And life is too short.

The safety catch on my Mossberg is on top. I like it. I only use that gun (full choke) for duck hunting or if I deer hunt with a shot gun. The rest of the time I use something different.

Most of the big time bird hunters I know pack 20 gauges. The lighter the better. We chase setters for miles and miles. I am packing a Remington 12 and the difference is amazing, especially if you are going to cover a dozen or so miles in the morning or afternoon hunt. If he is going to hunt a lot of pheasant or duck, get him the 12.

If he's going to be hunting a lot of quail or squirrel, he'll probably keep that 20 for the rest of his life.

I've already got a Winchester 20 single my grandson. He can't talk yet. The gun is his, once he gets old enough. Probably get him a 12 when he turns 12. Maybe give him one of mine. At this point, I don't know if he'll care to hunt. Can't wait to find out.

First gun was a Harrington & Richardson single shot 20 Ga. at around 12 years old, was a nice gun for squirrel and rabbit hunting till I saved up the money for a better one, I think my Mom still has the old H&R in a closet somewhere.

Not a thing wrong with a Mossberg. I have owned several in my life,good dependable guns. I think though that if I was in your shoes I would go ahead and give him that Model 12. Make him understand it's value both in dollars and sentimental value. Teach him to care for that gun as you would and hopefully he will cherish it and always remember you his Grandfather for giving it to him. ;-)

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":q58pcc4f said:
Not a thing wrong with a Mossberg. I have owned several in my life,good dependable guns. I think though that if I was in your shoes I would go ahead and give him that Model 12. Make him understand it's value both in dollars and sentimental value. Teach him to care for that gun as you would and hopefully he will cherish it and always remember you his Grandfather for giving it to him. ;-)

I prefer the 16 gauge over all shotguns myself. I bought a Remington 870 express a few years back to hunt ducks and hogs up the river, gun never did work right. I just don't think a twelve year old is mature enough for a Winchester Model 12.
The one I have in the gun safe for him was made in 1937 and is NRA 90%.

My first Model 500 Mossberg has the safety on the top NICE!

I bought another last year, the safety is by the trigger. :eek: :(

ROCKSPRINGS":1s79vmee said:
I forget the brand but I started with a "Sweet 16" Don't even remember what I did with it but sure wish I still had it.

Me too. It was my mother-in-laws. Loved that gun, being a smaller woman it was the perfect size. When she moved into the nursing home it must have gone to a grandchild at least I hope so.

I bought my son a charles daily 20 gauge pump youth model at walmart for $154.00. came with a certificate you send in along with the youth stock, when you kid outgrows the youth stock. they will send you a reguler size stock at no charge. Thought that was alright.

Bought my first Mossberg 500 in 1967. 12 gauge 3" magnum, 30 inch full choke. I beat a lot of horses over the head with it, won 6 turkey shoots, killed several deer with it (could only hunt with shotguns in Fl years ago), and I still have it. It was the only shotgun I owned until last week when I bought a single shot 20 gauge kids size H&R to keep in the Jeep for snakes and other things. It's cheap but doesn't look it. It is also made in the good old US of A. Oh, you can one hand it too. :lol:

I use my 500 for everything. I've got a rifled slug barrel for deer season. I've had no trouble with it.... ever.... Even the iron sites on the slub barrel are prety accurate

Latest posts