Shotgun

Help Support CattleToday:

ROCKSPRINGS":2cx87qve said:
I remember a Ted Williams shotgun from Sears my dad gave me
quite a while ago. Anybody remember them ?

A cousin of mine had one. We used to hunt with grandaddy a lot when we were teenagers. Don't know if he still has it or not. Don't think I ever shot it.

ROCKSPRINGS":2jdlltn6 said:
I remember a Ted Williams shotgun from Sears my dad gave me
quite a while ago. Anybody remember them ?

I sold one last year in new condition for $200.00.

Caustic Burno":4dvbt857 said:
I just don't think a twelve year old is mature enough for a Winchester Model 12.
The one I have in the gun safe for him was made in 1937 and is NRA 90%.

You know what we are saying though CB, do you want it to be his favourite shooter, or a gun case collectors item.

I took my model 12 out last year for one goose hunt. It felt like I'd betrayed my best dog leaving that 870 in the cabinet. The Model 12 can go to one of the kids, the 870 stays with me till I can't tote it no more.

If you let another gun catch his fancy, then that 12 may just end up shelved. Course then again, maybe they should be?

Can you tell how old a Model 12 is by serial number?

ALX.":2axy3el5 said:
Caustic Burno":2axy3el5 said:
I just don't think a twelve year old is mature enough for a Winchester Model 12.
The one I have in the gun safe for him was made in 1937 and is NRA 90%.

You know what we are saying though CB, do you want it to be his favourite shooter, or a gun case collectors item.

I took my model 12 out last year for one goose hunt. It felt like I'd betrayed my best dog leaving that 870 in the cabinet. The Model 12 can go to one of the kids, the 870 stays with me till I can't tote it no more.

If you let another gun catch his fancy, then that 12 may just end up shelved. Course then again, maybe they should be?

Can you tell how old a Model 12 is by serial number?

Yes you can tell the age by serial#, post the serial# or pm me and i can look it up for you.

My Grandson shoots a youth model Charles Dally (sp).
He loves it, he is now 14 and started shooting it when
he was 10. Oh forgot it's a 20ga.

I had a Ithaca model 66 .410 when I was about 7 years old. Moved up later to a 20 db then to a 16 auto and then to my dads 12 auto. When I was young the 12 help me to some degree overcome my skills at the time.

I still like my Sweet 16 as well as a good over under 20.

I like my model 12 in 16 gauge,but I hafta admitt,my favorite shot gun is a Ruger Red Label in 20 gauge.
I dont know why Ruger put the 20 gauge out before the 12 gauge,I didnt have the patience to wait on a 12,now I would'nt trade that twenty for two 12"s,it is a sweet dove gun...........good luck

HAY MAKER":23qz0i7z said:
I like my model 12 in 16 gauge,but I hafta admitt,my favorite shot gun is a Ruger Red Label in 20 gauge.
I dont know why Ruger put the 20 gauge out before the 12 gauge,I didnt have the patience to wait on a 12,now I would'nt trade that twenty for two 12"s,it is a sweet dove gun...........good luck

That is kinda funny. The Ruger Red Label 20 was the one I was thinking about. They do a good job on quail as well.

I've been very happy with my 500. I've upgraded now but I usually still have my 500 in the truck as back up just in case someone has problems with thier shotgun.

Walt

My first semi-auto goose gun was a mossberg super waterfowler 12 ga, 3 in. mag. I used it for years it was jam proof and a heck of a goose gun but alas i wore it out completetely. I guess putting 4-5 cases thru it a year will do that. I replaced it with a gun i bought from an estate sale a browning hump back 12 ga. 3 in. mag. it was in mint shape when i got it, i have had it for 4 season and put 4 -5 cases through it every year on ducks , geese and upland birds. Something to be said for those old guns they were made to last with high quality steel not cheap steel and plastic. Going goose hunting tomorrow morning the snows and specks pulled in a couple of days ago on my pea feilds we'll see if i can limit tomorrow. Nothing like good homemade honker - hog breakfast sausages.

I also got my son an Ithaca single shot .410 when he was about 8 yrs old. He has now graduated to using my Remington 11-87 12 guage. Shoots smooth...

My first shotgun was a bolt action H&R Gamemaster with one of those garden hose nozzle chokes. Barrel must have been 4 foot long.

dun":6u24wo34 said:
My first shotgun was a bolt action H&R Gamemaster with one of those garden hose nozzle chokes. Barrel must have been 4 foot long.

My first was Grandpa's old L.C. Smith choked full by full 32 inch barrels.

My Great Grandfather had a Combo gun, 2-16ga barrels over a rifle barrel (can't remember the rifle caliber at the moment) really beautiful old gun, my Mom's uncle got that one when he passed away, but I keep trying to talk him out of it. :lol:

Capt Call":1olqu1f6 said:
dun":1olqu1f6 said:

My first was Grandpa's old L.C. Smith choked full by full 32 inch barrels.

Nice. How old were you?

dun":nrcqe058 said:

How young were you? I'm getting a kick out of the last 2 visuals I got about youngsters with a firearm as tall as them.

What ever kind of gut you buy for your grandson, it will always be his favorite. I am very very close to my papaw, he gave me a single shot bolt action remington .22 I know it not a shot gun, my first shotgun was 1100 Remington LT Special, but out of all my rifles, pistols, shotguns those are my favorite. Dad gave me the 20ga as a christmas gift. No amount of money could ever buy those 2 guns.

Latest posts