Shorthorns

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
I am going to a sale later this month and thinking about picking up a few.
Been watching the neighbors F-1 calves and man do they grow and the cows are dog gentle.
He has been using my Angus on his heifers and I am impressed with the cross.

Been using some red polled AI Shorthorn sires over high % Angus cows for about 4-5 years now.
Liking 'em a lot, but haven't had enough of the heifers calve out yet to really get a feel for how good the cows are gonna be. Steers have been better than most of the Angus-sired calves out of the same group of AngusXSimAngus cows.

snake67":5hobn6cw said:
We cross with SH all the time

We also have run a few straight SH - they cross with anything

Bez

All things being equal I would raise shorties tommorrow in a heartbeat. They really cross well with Gelbvieh.

Lucky_P":20zzhoda said:
Been using some red polled AI Shorthorn sires over high % Angus cows for about 4-5 years now.
Liking 'em a lot, but haven't had enough of the heifers calve out yet to really get a feel for how good the cows are gonna be. Steers have been better than most of the Angus-sired calves out of the same group of AngusXSimAngus cows.

SH and Herf breeds both seem to have a lot of mothering in them. Teats and udders can be an issue.
SH seem to milk better then some, so they raise profitable calves as long as the color works in your area.
How would you compare a SH vs. a Simi sired calf on high % Angus cows?

I did have about 30 SH cows but only have a few now. Crossed well with a Pied bull and Saler. The problem I had was they were too motherly. They would let anyone nurse them,even other cows. At first I tryed separating the problem cows but that got to be a hassle so I just sold them. The other thing I noticed was it seemed there bags didn't hold up as well. Other than that I liked them. I had a pied x SH heifer wean a 720 lb calf this yr and she weighed 1240. Sold the calf right off her at the barn. She'd due any day bred by the same saler bull that sired her first steer. Hopefully she waits until this ice storm passes.

I like Shorthorn cows but I never see them at the sales around me all I ever see is people selling show heifers saw one the other day for $3000.00 I think she was 10 months old and she was pretty

We have had Shorthorns here ever since My Great Grandfather homesteaded here.
Haven't had much reason to change to another breed.
This picture is of some Shorthorn X Red Angus heifers sired by our bulls. I think they are going to grow into some pretty good cows.
133-Copy_zps59844189.jpg

steve,
Breeding some of those same cows - or their mothers(one less cross of Angus over 'em) - to Simmental sires. The Shorthorn-sired steers hold their own with the 3/4 Simmental steers

These RA x SH heifers look solid!!! Why it is so difficult to find reliable commercial shorthorn cattle these days? Is it because of the club calf industry?

Can't have any chrome on them around here and even pure red shorties will take a .20 hit if they have the longer head and hair

shortybreeder":vhyzdf16 said:
Jake":vhyzdf16 said:
Can't have any chrome on them around here and even pure red shorties will take a .20 hit if they have the longer head and hair
Shave them :lol:

it's not that there is anything really wrong with them. They are docked because they can be, similar to a Hereford. However the shorties in our area are of poor quality compared to Coyote's.

Caustic, is it a breeder's sale, or just a bred female sale with some shorthorns/durham reds for sale?

Latest posts