Shorthorns

Help Support CattleToday:

15 years ago we sold out when we moved to MO. I checked around and went to a number of breeders and association sales. Couldn;t find the kind of Shorthorns that we had before so ended up with Red Angus. I don;t regret going with them but I still have a softspot for Shorthorns. All of them we saw either were the size of a Brown swiss or gangly and way too hairy. And none of the non-asterisks stuff was to be found.

There used to be an outfit in South Central Kansas that has some real good one. The were what you would call " Old Timey".

Had a small group of shorthorn cows but I culled them heavily. So far I have one red shorthorn cow on the farm. The cows got fat too easy and the roans will got you docked at the sale barns. My Angus calves outweighted the shorthorn calves by 100lbs and these angus calves are only one month younger than the shorthorn calves.

tamarack":27204qkm said:
Caustic Burno":27204qkm said:
That is one reason I am looking at the Durham reds at the sale.
Durham reds are RA x red Shorthorn I have used a red bull from Hillside Shorthorns from Tennisee with very good results.

Yea I know I am thinking of putting a black Angus on some.

The only shorthorns around here are for showing. At the sale barn they do not exist. BWF and all Black get highest $/#. Talked to a guy once that took Belt. Gallow. calves to sale barn and he got murdered, LOL. I'm sure shorts would get docked quite a bit (not near as bad as a beltie). I'm always intrigued at who's buying what for how much. Love reading these threads

torogmc81":37d2wkb7 said:
The only shorthorns around here are for showing. At the sale barn they do not exist. BWF and all Black get highest $/#. Talked to a guy once that took Belt. Gallow. calves to sale barn and he got murdered, LOL. I'm sure shorts would get docked quite a bit (not near as bad as a beltie). I'm always intrigued at who's buying what for how much. Love reading these threads
Hmm I took Belted Galloway x Angus calves to the sale barn and not a single dock! Made to top of highest selling calves list. The only dock I got was the Angus heifer calf with frostbite ears. I got hammered so hard for the roan shorthorn cows at the sale barn last year.

Why would you get hammered hard for shorthorn cows? They should bring the same money for slaughter as the rest. If were they for breeding they should still bring at lease slaughter here bred has been bringing less than slaughter so unless they are really good and young they don't get preg-tested

I think he said roan shorthorn cows, not shorthorns in general. Roan shorthorns bring less money than solid red shorthorns around here by based on my observation at the sale barns.

Caustic Burno":fm5kzmhx said:
shortybreeder":fm5kzmhx said:
Caustic, is it a breeder's sale, or just a bred female sale with some shorthorns/durham reds for sale?
WHR sale.
I have wanted to go down to one of their sales for a while now to pick up a nice show heifer, but my show string is full this year and hauling a single calf from Texas to Minnesota doesn't sound like a "fun" road trip. They seem to have really good calves and can find you the right heifer for whatever you need. Good luck at the sale! :tiphat:

Neighbor is in that show breeding.
The catalog always has some good utility cows like all the rest I have ever been to.
I have bought some fine pairs through the years for a couple hundred more than the salebarn.

Here are some pics of my shorthorn calves 3/4 sh and 1/4 semi. They all aren't for show you just need the beef shorthorn and they cross real well with almost any other breed.

with charxher

Sh x RA

This is one of our bulls that we used on our heifers. He is in the Who's Your Daddy bull sale.
5z97z12z052-Copy_zps056c7950.jpg

Sorry tamarack I likely had the picture too big, hope this one works on your computer.
MURIDALE SIZZLE 12Z
He goes back to Cumberland Gay Lad on the sire side , Lad is a bull from the 1960's.
His mother is by Saskvalley Bonanza.

5z97z12z053-Copy_zpsd255d563.jpg

Latest posts