Shorthorns in Japan

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I read an article the other day where a shorthorn breeder in East Tennessee is getting top $ for shorthorn steers, fed to the max, slaughtered and shipped to Japan. They said a shorthorn steer brings $16,000 when sold as meat cuts there. They said that the marbling and tenderness is very much like a Wagyu. I was thinking that a shorthorn x wagyu would be a good steer to feed out for myself :mrgreen: Now I just have to get me a shorthorn momma to A.I. to a Wagyu bull.

that is where the rubber meets the road,, you'd have to put all you'r predudices aside to raise those. if you want them to look the way you want. then you'd be trying to reinvent them..they look like wormy longhorns to me ...

Physically, I didn't see anything on the cheshire cross website I could say I liked the looks of. Leggy as heck, tho the last one, that "Wagytal" newborn calf might have some potential. The Chargyu is just a crappy picture. Kinda like the Wagosine, but not the Wagford or the Waghorn. The Wayngus pic is too small for me to decipher.
(hey, sombody had to give 'em a breed name all their own--ya know it's coming someday)
But I guess it isn't about phenotype--it's about carcass quality.
Takimiko, on their cows page looks about a football field long and the next one down is deep.
The crosses don't seem to physically carry much of the disireable quality just from looks, but they're all young calves in the pics. I'd like to see some of their ages and wts, especially the first one..

anyone else think they all are missing about 1/4 of their tails?

That link brings up a question about the traits passing to their offspring in the crossbreeding. Assuming if the wagyu cows were bred to other breeds that were mentioned in the link, would the butts & guts show up in the crossbred calves out of the wagyu cows? Or was that only Wagyu bulls will knock off the butts?

iF Wagyu looks were a mell I would have to hold my nose every time I looked at them!

dun":3rmx11mf said:
iF Wagyu looks were a mell I would have to hold my nose every time I looked at them!
you know its a strong and tight gene pool when you cross them and they still look the same,,, just looking at them you'd swear there couldnt be a speck of marbling in them

ALACOWMAN":34wg4eso said:
dun":34wg4eso said:
you know its a strong and tight gene pool when you cross them and they still look the same,,, just looking at them you'd swear there couldnt be a speck of marbling in them
Or any meat on them.