Shorthorn X Cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

You may have to look oversees for embryos, and semen But the greatest in my breed tend to have more of the shorthorn phenotypes

Engler":33bnfegq said:
The problem with shorthorn cross cows in my neighborhood is they have shorthorn cross calves.

When you sell at the sale barn you get hammered on anything that looks like a horn cross, either 1)the oldtimers remember dad talking about them back in the day when it was a dual purpose breed and they did neither well 2) they see any white/chrome and automaticly discount saying dairy/holstein or longhorn influence or 3) they see roan and think about the bad showsteer cross stuff that they got stuck with several years ago that were total zeros.

:nod: I have a buddy that runs SH cows that are actually pretty good beef cows but he loves the roans. I hauled a load of nice big roan steers to the sale for him last year and they sold for longhorn prices. :cry2: If you can keep them white or red they do pretty well but still get docked.

cow pollinater":1907klyb said:
Engler":1907klyb said:
The problem with shorthorn cross cows in my neighborhood is they have shorthorn cross calves.

When you sell at the sale barn you get hammered on anything that looks like a horn cross, either 1)the oldtimers remember dad talking about them back in the day when it was a dual purpose breed and they did neither well 2) they see any white/chrome and automaticly discount saying dairy/holstein or longhorn influence or 3) they see roan and think about the bad showsteer cross stuff that they got stuck with several years ago that were total zeros.

:nod: I have a buddy that runs SH cows that are actually pretty good beef cows but he loves the roans. I hauled a load of nice big roan steers to the sale for him last year and they sold for longhorn prices. :cry2: If you can keep them white or red they do pretty well but still get docked.

If yer gonna do that ya gotta keep the chrome at home and sell it for freezer beef!

Engler":zbtr6pb4 said:

I had two roan cows like that and McDonalds was happy to get their fat asses.
The rest throw a black, or a black w/ a few white hairs, when crossed with terminal BA, and their calves are some of the biggest ones I wean. Hard to know whats in the woodpile the first two years...
A neighbor has some stein/SH crosses that he puts a Char bull on. Boney cows and monster cream calves. Just need to keep the chains handy. :cowboy:

turning grass into beef":2un5sru3 said:
Stocker Steve; I just noticed that you asked about semen available through Genex. Lucky_P got it right, lots of Maine influence in the only shorthorn bull that I could find on their website.
If you are interested in shorthorn Genetics that don't have any appendix blood, a couple of options come to mind right of the top of my head. We have semen available on Saskvalley Ramrod 155R (pictured below) availble in the U.S.(I realize that this is a shameless plug for our bull :D ).

Outstanding bull! How large are his calves and his mature daughters?

A fellow shorthorn breeder up here in Canada had a bull customer with angus cows come buy roan bulls this year. The rancher wanted a roan bull because the black hide on his calves does not guarantee to the buyers that there is any British blood in them, like it did a few decades ago. Up here in Canada, buyers want british cross cattle.
We don't sell any calves straight off the cows so I don't have any personal experience with how shorthorn cross calves sell. I can tell you that good quality shorthorn cross yearlings in Canada sell just as good as anything else, reagardless of how much chrome there is on them.

Stocker Steve; My brother has the calving records at his house so I will have to go by memory regarding your questions. His bull calves have probably averaged between 90 - 100 lbs, and his heifer calves about 10 pounds less. Remember that here in Canada our calve will average 10 pounds heavier than in the U.S. Midwest, because of our cold winters. Minnesota winters may be comparable to ours, I don't know.
I would doubt that we have pulled a single calf sired by this bull because of the following 2 reasons. 1) We have never bred him to heifers. 2) Other than malpresentations, we pull less than 1% of our calves off mature cows across our entire herd (both purebred and commercial cows)
To date we have had well over 100 calves sired by this bull.
The females sired by this bull are still young but I think that they will mature at somewhere around 1400 pounds.

cow pollinater":36mrxl72 said:
Engler":36mrxl72 said:

correct me if im wrong but you could always put a char bull on them roan cows and take most of that wild color out of them calves your selling so you dont take the hit couldnt you.

Around here Longhorn pricing means a big hit.If they were good cattle and brought that kind of pricing I wouldn't trust that sale barn with any kind of cattle.

Lon":3ivt9a7n said:
cow pollinater":3ivt9a7n said:
Engler":3ivt9a7n said:

correct me if im wrong but you could always put a char bull on them roan cows and take most of that wild color out of them calves your selling so you dont take the hit couldnt you.
No, they still will have the spots. Instead of red roan or red and white, they will be a tan roan or a tan with white spots coloration. Google shorthorn x charolais and click on images. The only way to avoid the prejudices if your going to mkt calves at the salebarns, is to use linebred red shorthorns.

I believe that the Shorthorn's greatest contribution to profitability will be as a component in a crossbred cow herd but here is some more data to back up an earlier post where I commented on their feeding abilities.The Oklahoma feedlot test sponsored by the university and the extension office just released their results and a pen of Shorthorn steers had the highest net profit per head and the cheapest cost of gain.The next best pen had a cost of gain that was 30 cents a pound higher.

R.N.Reed":18riulih said:
I believe that the Shorthorn's greatest contribution to profitability will be as a component in a crossbred cow herd but here is some more data to back up an earlier post where I commented on their feeding abilities.The Oklahoma feedlot test sponsored by the university and the extension office just released their results and a pen of Shorthorn steers had the highest net profit per head and the cheapest cost of gain.The next best pen had a cost of gain that was 30 cents a pound higher.
Would you feel comfortable exposing x4154689 to Purebred heifers?

Latest posts