shooting range in pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
I have my range setup in my pasture. we pick up all of our brass except what we miss and 22's.
think there is any danger to the cows. my pasture if far from perfect..mustve been a junkyard at one time...small pieces of junk everywhere so I don't think they would eat the shells since they haven't eaten anything else metal so far
maybe the brass or powder might taste better tho

anything bad about leaving it out there. its almost impossible to find it all sometimes

We've always done it. Pick up what you can and leave the rest.

If they were to pick one up I don't think you ever know it without cutting them open. I'm more concerned with small pieces of fencing wire.

fitz

I have a pasture shooting range setup, too, and bought a reasonably priced metal detector at a local pawn shop. I find 99% of the brass plus wire and other junk as well.

I'm also most concerned about staples and wire as well.. brass doesn't have much for pointy edges.. and it'll give them a copper and zinc supplement!

Been wanting to set up a range here for some time--especially after watching my adult nieces, one of ther husbands and my brother-in-law (all have their CC permits) shoot pistols after Thanksgiving dinner. Their marksmanship was horrible, none had a clue about good stance or sight alignment, and they were shooting at a 25 yard pistol paper target, from 12-15 yards away--most missed the whole paper. I have lots of room for both a pistol and rifle range, but could use some guidance on how to do it.

Anyone got some pictures of your range and want to start a thread in Sports/hunting/fishing section?

pumpkin_killer1.png

pumpkin_killer.png

Gage is 8..he slaughtered that pumpkin with the sr22. he does alright with his cricket also at 50 yds but he likes the semi auto pistol. he didn't like the ar too much tho...yet

dieselbeef":geapvo5q said:
oh yeah..theyre freezers full of dirt
DB one place I bought looked like the previous owner had used it for a driving range and never picked up the balls....I have found and picked up hundreds of golf balls.

He killed a poor defenseless pumpkin? :lol2: :lol2:

Dang, I done got rid of all the old freezers that were on this place when I got here.
What rounds would 10" of closed cell styrofoam stop--any?

At hte old farm I had a cat come in and build a 20 foot berm 100 yds from the back porch and had the 50 feet in front of it leveled. Here I just use the dry side of a pond dam. Longest I can shoot into a dam is 210 yards, that be plenty for me anymore.

greybeard":2h4chv75 said:
He killed a poor defenseless pumpkin? :lol2: :lol2:

Dang, I done got rid of all the old freezers that were on this place when I got here.
What rounds would 10" of closed cell styrofoam stop--any?

Daisy BB gun

We have some multi strand steel 1/2" wire rigged between 2 trees. We attach paper targets to those binder clips for reports and such and hang those over the wire. Behind that we have 4 dump truck loads of dirt or a backstop. Behind that 100 yds of woods.

yeah i use a trap for any brass that has some value..but theres probly 20k rds of 22 out there..you can actually just walk out there and find it..its everywhere...but everything else we pickup..big bedsheets..white..work good