Shooting Dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute 23":1soch4jz said:
BRYANT":1soch4jz said:
True Grit that is another reason I post these stories , I think this makes 3 I have posted where people got a felony for shooting dogs I have others with close to same results or still in court. The more there is with this out come the more likely it is for the end results to be like these. One court sets a precedent for what the others rule. The shooting every dog for no reason can be a big problem now, and there is animal rights people that will fund the case and they got LOTS OF MONEY to fight them with.

Not just animal right groups... I will personally help fund it... as will other working dog owners who own land and livestock. If I remember correctly you did/ will too.

I will shoot the dog for you if it is causing a problem but not for just crossing or being on the property. Now I do think there should be some thing where if you document the dog being on your property more than X amount of times in a given time period you should be able to take recourse against the owner no matter if it is causing problems or not.
You can catch the dog the owner should be fined at least a $1000 dollars for poaching and or armed trespassing. That would slow down the one's who let their dogs roam on to private property and chase the game off. The game is worth way more than a cow, and that's why a dog doesn't stand a chance if I see one on my property.

True Grit Farms":17d0ipbg said:
Brute 23":17d0ipbg said:
BRYANT":17d0ipbg said:
True Grit that is another reason I post these stories , I think this makes 3 I have posted where people got a felony for shooting dogs I have others with close to same results or still in court. The more there is with this out come the more likely it is for the end results to be like these. One court sets a precedent for what the others rule. The shooting every dog for no reason can be a big problem now, and there is animal rights people that will fund the case and they got LOTS OF MONEY to fight them with.

Not just animal right groups... I will personally help fund it... as will other working dog owners who own land and livestock. If I remember correctly you did/ will too.

I will shoot the dog for you if it is causing a problem but not for just crossing or being on the property. Now I do think there should be some thing where if you document the dog being on your property more than X amount of times in a given time period you should be able to take recourse against the owner no matter if it is causing problems or not.
You can catch the dog the owner should be fined at least a $1000 dollars for poaching and or armed trespassing. That would slow down the one's who let their dogs roam on to private property and chase the game off. The game is worth way more than a cow, and that's why a dog doesn't stand a chance if I see one on my property.

That's a slippery slope. When you start giving zero room for slip ups on dogs, cattle will be right behind it.

Personally I think it should be like a 3 strikes your out rule. I don't care if its your dog or bull, if he is on the property more than 3 times in 90 days there should be legal, recourse against the land owner. I still do not think it is the animals fault because they do not comprehend boundaries and I do not believe it should be taken out on the animal. It is 100% the owners responsibility and they should be held accountable.

I agree except for the 3 strike deal, look how good that works for drunk drivers. Most of the time cows and bulls aren't turned loose on purpose, and they don't chase the game off. With that said I'm 100% behind the owner needs to be held responsible for their animals. We had major horse problems around here, now there's no more horse's and no more problems.

Another story that just showed up on one on of the hound hunting sites I follow, don't know why it took so long for them to post. It shows how juries are looking at shooting dogs just because they come on your property, different world than what we lived in a few years ago they are protecting animals almost more than humans. Arkansas Times, March 2014, Lincoln County jury awards hunter 145000.00 for coon dog land owner shot.

You either need to have cows, the dog was chasing my cows. Or just go up and kick the dog once you kill it and make sure it's DNA is on your pants, it was trying to attack you. Any dog that doesn't have permission to be on my property better not let me catch up with it. I'll let the coon hunters come hunting after deer season closes in a few weeks. I have no problems as long as they ask permission to hunt, otherwise their just poachers.

I am scared to shoot a dog now days UNLESS I have SOLID proof that he was doing something wrong. With tracking devices and chips the old saying SSS does not work to good now days. I did have to shoot one a few months back but I had the police do a report, and your camera/video on your cell phone is you best friend in times like this, now then if the owner found out and wanted to sue I THINK/HOPE it would stand in court. I cant afford the kind of fines and jail time the courts are putting on dog shooters now days and sure don't want a felon on my record. That's the reason I post these stories is to show we live in a different times than we use to, not to try to debate about shoot or not to shoot. Just trying to put out some helpful info.

BRYANT":1vpe9d63 said:
I am scared to shoot a dog now days UNLESS I have SOLID proof that he was doing something wrong. With tracking devices and chips the old saying SSS does not work to good now days. I did have to shoot one a few months back but I had the police do a report, and your camera/video on your cell phone is you best friend in times like this, now then if the owner found out and wanted to sue I THINK/HOPE it would stand in court. I cant afford the kind of fines and jail time the courts are putting on dog shooters now days and sure don't want a felon on my record. That's the reason I post these stories is to show we live in a different times than we use to, not to try to debate about shoot or not to shoot. Just trying to put out some helpful info.
I don't think admitting to killing someone's dog is a good thing at all. The right to remain silent is very important to winning any case.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_silence Defending your life and property would be my last defense, I'd want someone to prove I actually shot the dog first, and then we can proceed to the defending my life and property aspect. If I was ever charged with something happening on my property, I'd file trespassing charges, and sue for pain and suffering immediately against those pressing charges against me. The only way to beat wrong is to fight back.

I don't care what kind of chips or collar a dog has on. I can't see a judge signing a warrant to look for a lost dog..lol

And that's what they'll be needing.. :nod

: people get themselves in trouble with their mouths. If you practice the shutup
You don't need the shovel.

callmefence":7f1t6zag said:
I don't care what kind of chips or collar a dog has on. I can't see a judge signing a warrant to look for a lost dog..lol

: people get themselves in trouble with their mouths. If you practice the shutup

They will do it in a heart beat. All you have to do is start a go fund me and get one of these animal groups behind you.. its a done deal.. judge won't have a choice.

What is getting these land owners is the gps tracking.

Use to be an understanding among neighbors, if the dog doesn't have a collar it' fair game. Collared dogs you either caught and hauled them back home, or gave a warning to the owners. Then the owners would tie the dog up, or beat the roaming out of them. If the dog offended again, you were free to "take care of them", and it was no one's fault but the owners for letting them roam.
Now with all of the city-slickers around, with their $2000 mutts, you'd be lucky to not get yourself shot, or sued for even yelling at someone else's dog.
Most dog owners today are as dumb as their dog.

They just don't make dogs like they use to.

Brute 23":2ahbm8jf said:
callmefence":2ahbm8jf said:

They will do it in a heart beat. All you have to do is start a go fund me and get one of these animal groups behind you.. its a done deal.. judge won't have a choice.

and they can raise thousands of dollars in a very short time plus these groups have lawyers that work for them ready to go.

BRYANT":5677073o said:
Brute 23":5677073o said:
callmefence":5677073o said:

and they can raise thousands of dollars in a very short time plus these groups have lawyers that work for them ready to go.

So can you show a case where a judge issued a warrant to look for a lost dog just on the transmission from a collar??
I'm betting without doing any research, that every warrant issued someone either opened their mouth or their gate......

callmefence":ubaqzkmg said:
BRYANT":ubaqzkmg said:
Brute 23":ubaqzkmg said:

So can you show a case where a judge issued a warrant to look for a lost dog just on the transmission from a collar??
I'm betting without doing any research, that every warrant issued someone either opened their mouth or their gate......
There was a news story several months back where someone shot a hound with a tracking collar and did not know what it was and buried it and it was recovered from his property and he was charged . I think it may have been in Indiana ?? not for sure and cant locate the story and I don't know for sure if they got a warrant to recover the collars. For some reason I did not follow it very close ??

Caustic Burno":n4i4ztmi said:
Yep. It's pretty straight forward and pretty clear.
822.013. Dogs or Coyotes That Attack Animals
(a) A dog or coyote that is attacking, is about to attack, or has recently attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may be killed by:

(1) any person witnessing the attack; or

(2) the attacked animal's owner or a person acting on behalf of the owner if the owner or person has knowledge of the attack.

(b) A person who kills a dog or coyote as provided by this section is not liable for damages to the owner, keeper, or person in control of the dog or coyote.

(c) A person who discovers on the person's property a dog or coyote known or suspected of having killed livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may detain or impound the dog or coyote and return it to its owner or deliver the dog or coyote to the local animal control authority. The owner of the dog or coyote is liable for all costs incurred in the capture and care of the dog or coyote and all damage done by the dog or coyote.

(d) The owner, keeper, or person in control of a dog or coyote that is known to have attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowls shall control the dog or coyote in a manner approved by the local animal control authority.

(e) A person is not required to acquire a hunting license under Section 42.002, Parks and Wildlife Code, to kill a dog or coyote under this section.

callmefence":3vxe9jlz said:
BRYANT":3vxe9jlz said:
Brute 23":3vxe9jlz said:

No warrant needed in Virginia the law allows me to go onto anyone's property by foot to retrieve my dogs by vehicle if they let me. Here in Virginia they would issue a warrant based off of that in a heart beat but we don't have to go to that extreme.

skyhightree1":3m78nggu said:
callmefence":3m78nggu said:
BRYANT":3m78nggu said:

No warrant needed in Virginia the law allows me to go onto anyone's property by foot to retrieve my dogs by vehicle if they let me. Here in Virginia they would issue a warrant based off of that in a heart beat but we don't have to go to that extreme.
Even if it's fenced and posted? Can you carry a gun also? I guess there's no trespassing laws in VA?

Law

§ 18.2-136. Right of certain hunters to go on lands of another; carrying firearms or bows and arrows prohibited.

Fox hunters and coon hunters, when the chase begins on other lands, may follow their dogs on prohibited lands, and hunters of all other game, when the chase begins on other lands, may go upon prohibited lands to retrieve their dogs, falcons, hawks, or owls but may not carry firearms or bows and arrows on their persons or hunt any game while thereon. The use of vehicles to retrieve dogs, falcons, hawks, or owls on prohibited lands shall be allowed only with the permission of the landowner or his agent. Any person who goes on prohibited lands to retrieve his dogs, falcons, hawks, or owls pursuant to this section and who willfully refuses to identify himself when requested by the landowner or his agent to do so is guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/tit ... n18.2-136/

True Grit Farms":1fw3d3yx said:
skyhightree1":1fw3d3yx said:
callmefence":1fw3d3yx said:

Even if it's fenced and posted? Can you carry a gun also? I guess there's no trespassing laws in VA?

No you can't carry a weapon and yes if its posted or fenced. Sure there's trespassing laws we just love our dogs here :lol:

Latest posts