Shooting Dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":26ktd74m said:
I agree with what both of you are saying. But the fact is the dogs owner should be at least 50% at fault also. Without his negligence those dogs would be alive today.

That's true but way too logical for our court system. They are lucky to convict actual criminals... much less divide up neglegence. :D

That's my problem with shooting dogs on sight... most of the time it'd not the dogs fault.

I just heard of another dog shooting case, Man shoots hunting dog, moves the body, burns the tracking collar. He gets jail time, has a felony, and has to pay for the dog and tracking collar. Wonder if he thinks it was worth it now, new world out there now for people who shoot a dog for just walking across your place. These GPS tracking systems make it hard on people, and a lot of people and judges look down on that kind of behavior now.

BRYANT":1i8j9i2q said:
Update on this case, I have been following it pretty close. It did not go to good for the man that shot the dogs. Judge gave him the following :
6 months in jail ; said that was the max he could under the law.
3 years probation, 500 hrs. community service at county animal shelter or 5000.00 donation, 200.00 reimbursement of the dogs, 2500.00 fine, loss of freedom to vote and loss of freedom to own a firearm, any violation he goes to prison for 2 years.
He also lost his job when this first started. This tells me you had better have a reason before you go out and start shooting doge for just walking across your place. The way it is now days people can put stories like this on the internet and people will start donating money to help fight in court and if you win it will break the bank account.

Texas Law
https://www.animallaw.info/statute/tx-d ... er-animals

If its killing livestock you should kill it. But these dogs were not they just walked across some ones place

BRYANT":sqwe5yz0 said:
If its killing livestock you should kill it. But these dogs were not they just walked across some ones place

It is hard to prove they are not harassing livestock unless there on a leash.
You can tell if they are a hunting dog versus stray/feral dog.
Best thing I ever did was getting a Jenny that hates a dog she doesn't discriminate.

Caustic Burno":2yijw2zu said:
BRYANT":2yijw2zu said:

Best thing I ever did was getting a Jenny that hates a dog she doesn't discriminate.
I know what you mean but just as hard to prove they were and the courts or people as a whole look down on stuff like that now days. Just the times we live in, abort all the babies you want but you better not shoot or hurt an animal now days they will throw the book at you. Times have changed.

BRYANT":1jecd8ll said:
Caustic Burno":1jecd8ll said:
BRYANT":1jecd8ll said:

I know what you mean but just as hard to prove they were and the courts or people as a whole look down on stuff like that now days. Just the times we live in, abort all the babies you want but you better not shoot or hurt an animal now days they will throw the book at you. Times have changed.

That is the exact reason Texas passed the dog law.

https://www.agweb.com/article/dog-pack- ... -arkansas/

No, I dont live in Arkansas. I live in GA but weekly find dogs roaming through our property. Like the SSS recommendation but so many have GPS or RFID chips. Have dozens of new calves. Brother shot one on his place over the weekend but it ran off. I saw two on my place after I went to check on why the bull was bellowing and carrying on. Did not have gun with me so just chased them off.

I have followed some of these cases pretty close and the shooter said some of the same things you all are saying, and the end results were cost them lots of money and they lost with a felon on their record. Dog owner paid very little in legal fees the humane society and public donations paid the bill, not trying to debate just saying that's the way the world is now days. I have shot dogs that were bothering my live stock, not walking through the pasture, but were bothering livestock but I am sure leery of it now days with chips and tracking devices. I had a hound come to me a few months back and rode all around my place in the back of the truck. He got out after a while and went on to some more dogs that were treeing. I left and went about a mile and seen the hunter sitting on the side of the road so I stopped and talked with him told him we had traps out, which we did. He then showed me on a screen that he had locked in ever where that dog had been while riding in the back of my truck. Makes SSS a little harder now days - no let me resay that A LOT harder. That dog was turned out a couple miles from my place but trailed down the creek to my place through blind sections so it would have been hard for the hunter to get him but I did not care any ways.

I'll take my chances, our DA was born and raised in middle Georgia, he's is a member of our cattlemens association and part of the young farmers organization also. We're still in small town USA, and as long as you do right you have rights.

True Grit Farms":8b171kzb said:
I've never seen a live dog that couldn't bite. Every dog I see always tries to attack me for some reason.
I had some experience training attack dogs in years gone by.
Most dogs will not bite. Susie Jane thinks her pet dog will protect her if anybody bothers her. :roll:
That is a false sense of security.
But I am cautious with any dog I do not know. You never know which ones are aggressive.

Ryder":37uao8ab said:
True Grit Farms":37uao8ab said:
I've never seen a live dog that couldn't bite. Every dog I see always tries to attack me for some reason.
I had some experience training attack dogs in years gone by.
Most dogs will not bite. Susie Jane thinks her pet dog will protect her if anybody bothers her. :roll:
That is a false sense of security.
But I am cautious with any dog I do not know. You never know which ones are aggressive.

I have no use for a dog that will bite. Training a dog to attack is the easy part, training him when and who to attack is the difficult part.

True Grit Farms":3nys9dwn said:
I'll take my chances, our DA was born and raised in middle Georgia, he's is a member of our cattlemens association and part of the young farmers organization also. We're still in small town USA, and as long as you do right you have rights.
So if you know they right people and drink whiskey with them you are exempt from the law.

TexasBred":raaxlhhz said:
True Grit Farms":raaxlhhz said:
So if you know they right people and drink whiskey with them you are exempt from the law.

Yes :nod:

Last week we had a district court judge hand down a sentence to a young man that kicked and threw a puppy down in a fit of rage. I don't necessarily have a problem with the sentence, but the same judge has handed down lighter ones for manslaughter. Tell me the system ain't screwed up somewhere.

Brute 23":2cicw3pt said:
TexasBred":2cicw3pt said:
True Grit Farms":2cicw3pt said:

Yes :nod:
That won't stop civil litigation.

slick4591":1b14i42u said:
Last week we had a district court judge hand down a sentence to a young man that kicked and threw a puppy down in a fit of rage. I don't necessarily have a problem with the sentence, but the same judge has handed down lighter ones for manslaughter. Tell me the system ain't screwed up somewhere.
That was the point I was trying make you better not hurt and animal, I don't care what kind of buddy judge you have the news media, PETA, Humane society, social media, snow flake kids they got a lot of pull now days. Just the way it is regardless if we like it or not, things have changed in America.

BRYANT":wsplusk1 said:
slick4591":wsplusk1 said:
That was the point I was trying make you better not hurt and animal, I don't care what kind of buddy judge you have the news media, PETA, Humane society, social media, snow flake kids they got a lot of pull now days. Just the way it is regardless if we like it or not, things have changed in America.
Sounds like animals have more advocates than humans. Easy to understand when you have those like True Grit that just think shooting humans behind the ear will solve the human problem.

TexasBred":1cti9dmf said:
BRYANT":1cti9dmf said:
slick4591":1cti9dmf said:
Sounds like animals have more advocates than humans. Easy to understand when you have those like True Grit that just think shooting humans behind the ear will solve the human problem.

The Florida school shooter needed a bullet behind the ear, if the people would just get with the program we could slow this crap down. I get so tired of seeing that murderer's face on my screen I could punch my tablet. I can only imagine how the parents of those kids that were murdered feel. We all know now that the BSO are wimps and that's why this pos is still alive.

Latest posts