Shipping Container as Cool Room

Help Support CattleToday:

CMG

Reaction score
My company sells shipping containers. I had a request from a potential customer to convert a new 20' container into a cool room. It would be done using our structural insulated panels (SIPS), which we use for moible offices. I was wondering what you guys thought about the potential for such a product? The idea would be to utilize a 20' shipping container with doors on both ends (tunnel container) so the cattle can come in from one side and out the other. I'm not even sure if that would be necessary, I think a standard shipping container, with the doors on one end would do the job.

Anyways, I have priced out the new 20' tunnel container with the insulated panels and it comes out to around $5500-$6000 (using a standard 20' container it would be even cheaper). That would be a 8'x20' cool room. This would not include the AC unit or drains, which would have to be done by the buyer.

What do you guys think? I was told that similar sized cool rooms from other companies are $10,000+.

Please give me your thoughts and whether or not this is a good product to actually make available. I added a video below which shows the types of panels that would be used. Thanks.

[youtube]F3qXmP2EEhE[/youtube]

I had a similar idea and spent a few hours pricing reefer shippers.

The problem getting my head around are urine management, flooring, and redundancy my thought was 2 cooling units one a conversion of Diesel engine to LP and electric?

Otherwise looks good like your SIPP panels and I think the idea is good the closer you can get to plug and play the better ie wiring etc already done.

Good luck it's a good idea and you have the source and experience to make it work

It's not a bad idea, but you're still a long way away from a turn-key deal. It has to drain, and it needs more ventilation. Obviously the buyer will need to install their own cooling system, lights, wiring, etc... and can address the other issues as well. But by the time they do all that, the cost may get awfully close to something like a Cool Calf set up, which offers all that, plus a wider room and an electromagnetic door and alarm system (which I believe would have to be essential if you're selling it as a cool room because of liability). You do have the advantage of not needing to be set up inside a building like the Cool Calf does, though.

Latest posts