Building A Cool Room

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cattle Girl

Reaction score
This year, I'm gonna try to talk my dad into building a cool room for the steers, as long as I help and pay for most of it.

We had a 3 stall lean-to that is made out of cement slabs. The roof is metal or tin. We are probably just gonna totally enclose one and somehow insulate the walls then put a air conditioner or swamp cooler on it.

The size of each stall is about 12'-14' X 13'-15'. Is this room big enough for 5-7 calves or should we make 2 rooms?

Also, would a swamp cooler or air conditioner be better to use?

And, would I need to put up some fans as well to keep the air circulating inside?

Any input at all will be very helpful. Thanks.

We give our calves 3-4' each so they can lay down and do what calves do. THey are tied up all day so when it comes fair time they are used to it. As far as swamp cooler vs. ac; we use a swamp cooler. We have found that here in CO the summer air is too dry and the ac doesn't put out cold enough air. So therefore we use a swamp cooler. It keeps our room about 60 on the hottest days. You just have to make sure to let the barn air out at night, get an exhaust fan or leave the doors open.

I have some experience in building cool rooms. I helped put one together in a corner of a barn with insulated stud walls, plywood, then caulked all joints. They used a large window AC for a 10x10 room that they tie maybe three calves in a day then let them out at night. They open the cool room door at night to air it out.
I know a family that converted an old hog farrowing house into one large cool room. I'm not sure what kind of cool cell they use, but it's large. It doesn't work that well, I don't know if it's age or what, but they also have a mister unit on a temp controller also. They can tie up maybe 10 calves in their own stall with feed, auto water, and mister. They also have two stall wash rack and two chutes inside. Then at night they let the calves loose outside. Their building has three fans that kick on automatically to keep the air circulating.

I would make two rooms if I were you, just in case you decide to show more calves one year and need the room. I also think a large window AC unit will be big enough to cool them down. I know a guy that got his hands on a walk in beer cooler unit. That cooled something fierce. Shop around and see what you can find. Keep in mind room for feed bunks and water. Good luck!

Latest posts