"Ship Her" Not to my sale, thank you.

Help Support CattleToday:

I have been shipping cattle on the rail for over 10 years. Never been burned. I think it has to do with the integrity & quality of the packer you are dealing with. I have NEVER even heard of anyone saying they didn't get paid for what they shipped.

stocky":1kzinn0d said:
BUYER BEWARE! I don't care if it is at a sale barn or at a person's farm. Any person buying a cow should have that attitude going in. No one is ever going to make 100% perfect decisions on cattle, but when you do not automatically believe what an auctioneer or an owner tells you, you learn to find out more about a cow. ALL cows are sold for a reason. I buy 500 or more cows per year. I almost always buy at the sale barn. Once in a while I will buy from a farmer on the farm if I know him and his cattle. Two things are for sure about the owners of cows. They think their cows are younger than they are, and they think they are bred further than they are. People who keep records excepted, of course. I buy thin and suckled down cows that are short bred. I work hard to buy out of complete herd sellouts and any cow that acts wild when I get them home, never gets turned out of the holding pen. I buy cows cheap enough that if i have to sell them for slaughter, I dont lose money. When I find out I have a problem cow, I take her to a local slaughterhouse and get more for slaughter than I would at a sales barn. I can't guarantee the history of the cows that I buy, so when I sell, I always sell at the sale barn and with no story. I never sell to an individual off the farm, because I dont know the history of the cow. The buyers at the barn know me very well and from February-june when I sell those cow-calf pairs they are always asking if I am bringing any next week. Those same local farmers bid and buy my cows each spring. They know I buy and winter the cows, but they know I am a choosy buyer. At this sale barn, if they sell a cow-calf pair, it is a guaranteed pair and if they are not a pair when you get them home, you bring them back and get your money back.
I have called about cows advertised by owners in newspapers and many times on the phone they tell me they have decided to sell their whole herd that they have raised. When i get there, it is amazing how many times it is someone I have watched buy those cows at the sale barn only a few months before----people can be just as crooked at home as they can at the sale barn, if they want to be. It is your hard earned money, be just as careful about buying cows as you would about spending your money on other things. Most cattlemen are honest, alot are not----keep your eyes open and BUYER BEWARE
Good Advice.

The more you get burned the better you get at looking them over beforehand. In the short time I see them in the ring I look at eyes, ears, and feet in that order. Watch them move around and make a decision in less than 10 seconds. Go to the barn even if you ain't planning on buying. Set your upper limit and see what it brings. Also practice guessing weights.

Campground Cattle":2spfla8v said:
Craig-TX":2spfla8v said:
Stocky and Dave made a couple of excellent posts with several excellent posts. The best proof that salebarns are crooked operations that are always selling sorry cattle is their clientele. Have you ever noticed how the old timers and the folks who really know cattle never ever go the sale? And if they do for some strange reason have you noticed how they never ever buy any cows there? Didn't think so.

Good points if the old men in bib overalls aren't there you can bet good cattle aren't either.

:lol: So true.

Alright, I've lurked this post long enough.

I sell 99% of my cows to the sale barn.

When I bought my place, the seller made us buy all of his cows at the appraised prices. The appraiser? He was the sale barn manager. The cows? Some were so old and arthirtic they would walk, stop, lay down. Hadn't had a calf in 2 years. Some were rangy. Good looking cows, but more spirit than I care to deal with.

We hauled 90% of that herd to the sale barn. The rangy cows were sold as replacements. They were young and fairly good looking. Great udders, great momma's, excellent confirmation.

The old ones were canners.

If it weren't for the sale barn, I wouldn't have been able to sell those that I couldn't use. Then I would have been digging holes all over the place. And - my neighbor buys from the sale barn all the time. He gets good, gentle cows for dirt cheap prices. He always says, you have to know what you are doing, go early and look before the sale starts.

And as far as old men in bid overalls? Give me a break. Most of those guys just got into the business - retirement dreams. And the ones that have been around for a while? It is my opinion that they are used to the old ways and won't think of new ideas for managing their ranches. They've got a lot of great advice, but won't take it to the next level of thinking because "that's the way it's always been done".

Sale barns are a quick way to sell inferior cattle. Every animal that goes through is "buyer beware". That has become their purpose.

If neighboring cattlemen (especially small) would get together, breed alike pedigrees, calve at the same time, etc. they WILL be able to compete with the larger outfits. If not, they will keep working in town to pay the bills and selling at the sale barn.

Remember, the worst enemy of beef at present is "inconsistency".
Those that raise good beef are propping up the price for those who do not.

Dusty Britches":17dx8xfs said:
And as far as old men in bid overalls? Give me a break. Most of those guys just got into the business - retirement dreams. And the ones that have been around for a while? It is my opinion that they are used to the old ways and won't think of new ideas for managing their ranches. They've got a lot of great advice, but won't take it to the next level of thinking because "that's the way it's always been done".

Look here you young little whippersnapper. I'm 78 years old and have been in the cattle business all my life. I'm sure I have forgotten more than you know. I got half a mind to turn you over my knee and teach you some respect. :mad:

MikeC":23otj99t said:
Sale barns are a quick way to sell inferior cattle. Every animal that goes through is "buyer beware". That has become their purpose.

Maybe that is how they operate in your area, but this statement is not entirely true everywhere Mike. Lots of good cattle are sold at are local sale barn. They sell from 800 to 2000 head per week (one sale day per week), and they are not all inferior cattle. I find it unbelievable the way some of you bash the sale barns. Just because you are unable or don't possess the ability to select good cattle when you go to the sale barn, that makes sale barns bad? If it wasn't for sale barns there are lots of folks that would not have a market for their stock, this includes some large operations. There may be some "inferior" cattle sold their, but there are some darn good ones sold there also.

If neighboring cattlemen (especially small) would get together, breed alike pedigrees, calve at the same time, etc. they WILL be able to compete with the larger outfits. If not, they will keep working in town to pay the bills and selling at the sale barn.

Most cattlemen are small Mike. The average cow herd in the US is about 44 head. I know lots of large operations that calve year around. If everyone calved at the same time, then the majority of the cattle would be ready for slaughter at about the same time. Not sure just how well this would work.

Remember, the worst enemy of beef at present is "inconsistency". Those that raise good beef are propping up the price for those who do not.

When you use the term "inconsistency" what are you referring to? Size and weight of cattle? Different breeds of cattle? or are you referring to differences in the actual steaks and packages of meat.

Caustic Burno":30vjkxp4 said:
Dusty Britches":30vjkxp4 said:

Look here you young little whippersnapper. I'm 78 years old and have been in the cattle business all my life. I'm sure I have forgotten more than you know. I got half a mind to turn you over my knee and teach you some respect. :mad:

Dusty's statements here were generalities, and while they won't apply to all, they do apply to many. I know lots of old timers who simply do things a certain way, because they have always done them that away. I'm guilty of this myself (I'm not an old timer though, but my father is) a time or two.

CB, if my statements have offended you, then my apologies. I do respect all you old timers, especially since I'm going to be one of you one of these days. :lol:

SF":20i1134g said:
MikeC":20i1134g said:

Maybe that is how they operate in your area, but this statement is not entirely true everywhere Mike. Lots of good cattle are sold at are local sale barn. They sell from 800 to 2000 head per week (one sale day per week), and they are not all inferior cattle. I find it unbelievable the way some of you bash the sale barns. Just because you are unable or don't possess the ability to select good cattle when you go to the sale barn, that makes sale barns bad? If it wasn't for sale barns there are lots of folks that would not have a market for their stock, this includes some large operations. There may be some "inferior" cattle sold their, but there are some darn good ones sold there also.

Most cattlemen are small Mike. The average cow herd in the US is about 44 head. I know lots of large operations that calve year around. If everyone calved at the same time, then the majority of the cattle would be ready for slaughter at about the same time. Not sure just how well this would work.

Remember, the worst enemy of beef at present is "inconsistency". Those that raise good beef are propping up the price for those who do not.

When you use the term "inconsistency" what are you referring to? Size and weight of cattle? Different breeds of cattle? or are you referring to differences in the actual steaks and packages of meat.

1-If you will read my statement again, I did not say that every animal that goes through a sale barn is inferior. But you have to agree that they are "buyer beware". It's just that more cattlemen in this area who have truckloads of cattle are bypassing the sale barn and the commissions associated. Many are feeding their own.

2-Everyone in the country would not have to calve at the same time. Just the ones who are "pooling" calves.

3-I would describe inconsistency as: From the "Beef Quality Audit" - "2 out of 5 beef eating experiences in the U.S. are not pleasant".

I am not against salebarns as they do have their place. Especially the "feeder sales" they put on.
Don't forget, Pork and Chicken are our competitor, and they ARE consistent.

MikeC":59ze7879 said:
1-If you will read my statement again, I did not say that every animal that goes through a sale barn is inferior. But you have to agree that they are "buyer beware". It's just that more cattlemen in this area who have truckloads of cattle are bypassing the sale barn and the commissions associated. Many are feeding their own.

I will agree with "buyer beware'. I would simply add, that this applys to all purchases, not just at the sale barn.

2-Everyone in the country would not have to calve at the same time. Just the ones who are "pooling" calves.

Cooperative efforts always can benefit, both in selling, buying replacements, etc. I agree, there is power in numbers. Producers can probably get a better deal if they go and buy 100 bulls than if they just go buy one or two for their farm. They can also swap bulls every couple of years

3-I would describe inconsistency as: From the "Beef Quality Audit" - "2 out of 5 beef eating experiences in the U.S. are not pleasant".

I've never heard that before. I was unaware that 40% of the beef eating experiences are not pleasant. I seldom go out and order steak anymore, because the trend in America has been to go with leaner beef and I like mine with lots of fat, both marbling and around the sides. I like mine reaching nearly prime. I think the lean beef is tough and lacks flavor. JMO

I am not against salebarns as they do have their place. Especially the "feeder sales" they put on.
Don't forget, Pork and Chicken are our competitor, and they ARE consistent.

I don't know much about the pork industry, but what I do find amazing is how the chicken industry has prospered so. I'm been to a couple of chicken farms. Won't eat chicken anymore, unless I raise it.

Okay my experience has been that if you are buying somebody else's cows out of the salebarn and you are just buying randomly, good deals are hard to come by. Except for the guys who've just plain old given up on cattle farming and send their cows in, it seems that every cow is there for a reason. For the most part, they are fence busters, bad attitudes, high strung, hip locking, mastitis ridden, or old. My neighbor buys cows from the salebarn. Out of the forty pairs that wandered into my pasture because they'd busted out of the fence, I could see three cows that I thought may be acceptable additions to my herd but I wouldn't know about their temperament after calving or any other problems that may have motivated their previous owner to send them to the salebarn. I also know that it would be rare for me to send a good productive cow to the salebarn without a reason. My calves go there as do my yearling heifers that don't make the cut for replacements but as far as the good stuff, it stays on the farm. You might get the odd bargain out there but I think they'd be few and far between.

people need to learn to respect eachother.im from the saqme school as burno is from. if it aint broke dont screw with it. yes us oldtimers have our ways. if you whippersnappers would listen some you might learn something. w/o having to take some bad knotts on your heads. scott

Arnold Ziffle":2pdj1dtb said:
A smart man learns from his mistakes. An even smarter man learns from the mistakes of others, without making them himself.

Well said

I know I need help, alot of it, really we all do at times. I havnt even began to see it all.

But lets get real just cause a guy is old doesnt shave and wears overalls doesnt make him a cattle expert. He could just be stealin a cup of coffee at the salebarn lol
I have people I trust, I ask for help often. Before you take a mans advise dont look at his cloths look at his cattle.

MD

MikeC, what part of Alabama are you from. I'm from NW Alabama. Most everbody within a 100 miles from me buy and sell mostly at the salebarns. I normally buy from one and sell at another. I'm not exactly a old timer, but I do wear overalls. Not the fake ones LIBERTY only. I am set in my ways as I know what works, and what has worked in the past. But I am constantly tweeking my operation. Those old timers gave me one heck of a good place to start from. I use the trials and errors they have proven in the past. It sure saves me a lot of wasted time and money. Some of those oldtimers can't tell you the square root of pi, or who is the latest movie star, but they can tell you what to do if a cow has some weird condition. Chances are they have experienced it.

Bama":1jh3d2yk said:
MikeC, what part of Alabama are you from. I'm from NW Alabama. Most everbody within a 100 miles from me buy and sell mostly at the salebarns. I normally buy from one and sell at another. I'm not exactly a old timer, but I do wear overalls. Not the fake ones LIBERTY only. I am set in my ways as I know what works, and what has worked in the past. But I am constantly tweeking my operation. Those old timers gave me one heck of a good place to start from. I use the trials and errors they have proven in the past. It sure saves me a lot of wasted time and money. Some of those oldtimers can't tell you the square root of pi, or who is the latest movie star, but they can tell you what to do if a cow has some weird condition. Chances are they have experienced it.

Bama some wisdom there doesn't take long (if you know what your doing) to see the real old time cattlemen at the salebarn.
They didn't drive up in that shiny Ford 4X4 with that big hat talking a buch of noise like these weekend ranchers.
Every one of them old boys have got enough money to burn a wet mule, and they didn't make it in the city. Pretty smart in my books think I will listen.

Latest posts