She's yankin' my chain.

Help Support CattleToday:

kucala5

Reaction score
Two weeks ago had a really great (so we thought) heifer have to have her a calf pulled. Not a hard pull, but a pull. She didn't reject him, just won't let him nurse. She'd go in the shoot amicably twice daily and let him get his fill the last two weeks. She licks and talks to him, wants him close. We let them out today with the herd thinking that might help. When she wasn't laying down, she was mostly on the move with him in hot pursuit. We saw him latch on a couple times while she was at the hay but he just now took a bottle like he hadn't eaten all day. Will he eventually wear her down? I don't want a bottle calf or a stupid damn heifer, but her mom is still a gem at 17 and we had high hopes for this replacement.

Had one like that. High hopes. Eventually she let him suck, but never loved him, licked him, etc. Basically would wait until the pressure in her udder became unbearable and he was the pressure relief valve. Was a monster calf when sold and she went for the ride at the same time. First and only one I ever had like that and was no-brainer to get rid of her.

I would find someone who wants a bottle calf and ship the cow. But again, my tolerance for that BS is very low.

Aaron":3j3dm8fn said:
Had one like that. High hopes. Eventually she let him suck, but never loved him, licked him, etc. Basically would wait until the pressure in her udder became unbearable and he was the pressure relief valve. Was a monster calf when sold and she went for the ride at the same time. First and only one I ever had like that and was no-brainer to get rid of her.

I would find someone who wants a bottle calf and ship the cow. But again, my tolerance for that BS is very low.

^ yup

I had to graft a 34 day old calf onto a jersey crossbred cow this year. She never really loved him, and if he came around her head she would head butt him. But twice a day, while she was eating at the trough, he would sneak from the backside and get his fill. That is how it went until he was big enough to go to the salebarn.

Take a pair of hobbles (with the chain in the middle) and hobble her back feet together. That will slow her down and she won't be able to kick either. She will be able to move around to eat and drink. Shouldn't take more than 5-7 days for her to give in...

If she's nice Like you say I would watch and see if she learns to be a mother, If not Load & Go. I've said this before Heifers are like a teenage mothers. some just know what to do others need to be taught, and some just what to leave their baby in a pile and go on the merry way. I've wore out a headgate and 2x4 on MOTHERHOOD Class 101 before, I got no time for that BS anymore. if they can't do their job from the get go. They're on the trailer and OFF LIKE A PROM DRESS

randiliana":2h0u28pw said:
Take a pair of hobbles (with the chain in the middle) and hobble her back feet together. That will slow her down and she won't be able to kick either. She will be able to move around to eat and drink. Shouldn't take more than 5-7 days for her to give in...
If she still gets walks away, I use a half inch thick quick chain link to shorten the hobble chain, then she just shuffles. HAHA I have left em on for a month. Saves calf getting gunshy from getting kicked, and u time twice a day putting her in to suck. Hobbles are they only way to go. Make sure you use the nylon ones, the leather ones get so stiff you have a hard time getting them off.

He's been nursing at will now for over a week. She gets another chance. Nice heifer, awesome udder for a first timer. "Buddy" is thriving. Patience and diligence paid off...I hope we aren't disappointed this time next year.

retro":3n94td67 said:
If she's nice Like you say I would watch and see if she learns to be a mother, If not Load & Go. I've said this before Heifers are like a teenage mothers. some just know what to do others need to be taught, and some just what to leave their baby in a pile and go on the merry way. I've wore out a headgate and 2x4 on MOTHERHOOD Class 101 before, I got no time for that BS anymore. if they can't do their job from the get go. They're on the trailer and OFF LIKE A PROM DRESS

X2. It always comes down to the amount of time and patience you personally have. It can be very rewarding and/or super frustrating. As i age, i just dont seem to have the time for it; my patience is better though ;-) The reason i agree with prom dress analogy is (possibly erroneous thinking here) sure, shes is a dandy heifer/cow who will likely throw more dandy looking cows that will potentially have the same flaw in maternal ability. I just dont want the temptation of seeing a dandy heifer, keep her, and have to repeat the learning cycle with her offspring. Thats just me. The juice isnt worth the squeeze for me at this point...I have enough to do already.

bBALL You have a much better way with words than I LOL.. Sound like we both have the same bus ticket. Thanks for giving more details .. Glad it work out for him.. I have found some more patience as Father Time has been ticking , but my Motherhood 101 classes are coming to a close, don't much care for the student's backlash , Those "Special Need's Students" are hard on me

retro":iugk9iah said:
bBALL You have a much better way with words than I LOL.. Sound like we both have the same bus ticket. Thanks for giving more details .. Glad it work out for him.. I have found some more patience as Father Time has been ticking , but my Motherhood 101 classes are coming to a close, don't much care for the student's backlash , Those "Special Need's Students" are hard on me

Idk about that retro. That prom dress comment was pretty darn funny. Warning you in advance, I will be borrowin that one. :lol2:

Latest posts