Sherfie Steer

Help Support CattleToday:

Kenz

Reaction score
095.JPG

This is my steer for 4-H, he's a Sherfie (Hereford X Shorthorn) born on April 4th. I'm gonna feed him out, maybe take him to a few small shows, and then he'll go to one big show/sale at the end of May. I know an April-born calf is REALLY late for a May sale, but the price was right and he's pretty big (weight tape says 630.) My main goal is NOT to lose money, so price was a big factor.
I'm interested in how he'll do as a market steer (not strictly a show steer) and we've got a carcass contest after the sale.

So tell me what you think!
(His back end looks kinda funky (back left leg?) but his topline and shoulders actually look pretty good in this pic.

Are you sure he even has any Shorthorn in him?

Time and feed will tell. Most importantly, when all is said and done, he should taste great in steak form!

Are you sure he even has any Shorthorn in him?
That's what the breeder told me, and I'm taking her word for it. She had a field full of Hereford cows, some bred to a Herf bull and others to a SH. All the calves that were sired by the SH bull on first glance appeared to be Herf, but on second glance, the white in the legs, underside, head, and along the featherneck was more extended and mottled. Not sure if that means anything, just telling you what I saw.

He definitely willl need some care
what do you mean? :D

Kenz":v0zsqqfv said:
095.JPG

This is my steer for 4-H, he's a Sherfie (Hereford X Shorthorn) born on April 4th. I'm gonna feed him out, maybe take him to a few small shows, and then he'll go to one big show/sale at the end of May. I know an April-born calf is REALLY late for a May sale, but the price was right and he's pretty big (weight tape says 630.) My main goal is NOT to lose money, so price was a big factor.
I'm interested in how he'll do as a market steer (not strictly a show steer) and we've got a carcass contest after the sale.

So tell me what you think!
(His back end looks kinda funky (back left leg?) but his topline and shoulders actually look pretty good in this pic.
Kenz-

I am sure that if you are serious about doing your best with the calf he should finish out okay. Insofar as his left hind leg is concerned, the only questionable factor that I can detect is a possible tendency to his being slightly cow hocked, but from THIS picture it does not appear to be severe, and because he is not a seedstock candidate that trait should not be a detriment to any extent. Just make sure, with your care of him, that he gets PLENTY of walking exercise, so that he will lead easily without hassling you!

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts