Sheep

Help Support CattleToday:

Santas and Duhram Reds":29ai3108 said:
QWife is thinking about getting a couple of sheep. Katahdins to be exact. Basically she wants a project that is solely hers. Don't know what to think. Any thoughts? Advice? Comments?
Only thought I have is what she said "A project that is solely hers"...let her have it. :lol2:

TexasBred":1hdwl6ff said:
Santas and Duhram Reds":1hdwl6ff said:
QWife is thinking about getting a couple of sheep. Katahdins to be exact. Basically she wants a project that is solely hers. Don't know what to think. Any thoughts? Advice? Comments?
Only thought I have is what she said "A project that is solely hers"...let her have it. :lol2:

You are about to learn to absolutely love Katahdins. Congratulations.

You might as well learn to enjoy them too.
Sheep can be a real test of husbandry skills.

I have my hubby (a confirmed sheep hater) almost convinced to get 100 of them :)
theres good money in sheep right now- and it should stay that way

Howdyjabo":1en417tb said:
You might as well learn to enjoy them too.
Sheep can be a real test of husbandry skills.

I have my hubby (a confirmed sheep hater) almost convinced to get 100 of them :)
theres good money in sheep right now- and it should stay that way

Yeah but I notice you have dogs. :lol2: An old phart like me would have better luck herding "cats".

I don't see how anyone can enjoy sheep without a dog. They make life with them so much easier.....even more so than with cattle.

Donkeys and herding dogs together are hard. You have to train the donkey to leave the dogs alone- one mistake(the dog pushing too hard) and the dogs are dead.
Guard dogs are easier to manage with a herding dog.
Also donkeys can be a real pain around lambs- they are so protective that they won't let the ewe bond. And they really @@@@ at raising lambs themselves.

what Howdyjab says is true.
I have a small flock of dorpers..one ewe is part Kat..I prefer dorper..they are a "meatier" breed and very hardy..IMO. you must get a good sheepdog if you have sheep..it makes life alot easier. predators can be an issue...moreso then with cattle. a LGD is better then a donkey IMO.

Sheep prices are high now..I really enjoy having them..

Our daughter has sheep - over 200 ewes. They use registered Dorper rams on Dorper, Dorper cross and Rambouillet ewes. They work theirs without dogs without any problems. They supplement in the winter, so all they need to do is rattle a feed bag and the sheep will come up and into the pens.

They have had the best luck using llamas to keep the predators at bay.

These are a few of their ewes.

1231583774_bpamC-O.jpg

I have one pet sheep, a black Southdown. Andy runs with the cattle. He gets upset if he gets separated from them.

Latest posts