Any hair sheep folks on this site?

Help Support CattleToday:

How many breeds of hair sheep are there? The only breed I know of is the Katahdin Breed developed in Maine In the fifty's. I have a friend who sold his goats and sheep and replaced with Katahdin He says they are easier to maintain , He sells them at the local cattle auction and they bring top dollar.
I have not seen sheep or goats discussed on this board , must not be many that raise sheep.

I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago with several views but nearly zero activity. Fenceman did reply and said that he used to have some. I'm looking to buy a few. Cattle intimidate my wife and I think my kids would enjoy them as well.

We have dorpers and dorper crosses. Have some katahdin blood, however they lack power and growth and the fertility isn't over the top. We have started crossing with a romanov ram and really like what we are seeing so far out of those, lots of vigor from birth, low death loss and will improve our fertility.

cowboy43":2gf64768 said:
How many breeds of hair sheep are there? The only breed I know of is the Katahdin Breed developed in Maine In the fifty's. I have a friend who sold his goats and sheep and replaced with Katahdin He says they are easier to maintain , He sells them at the local cattle auction and they bring top dollar.
I have not seen sheep or goats discussed on this board , must not be many that raise sheep.
These are St. Croix. F1 females make great commercial ewes bred back to a terminal ram. We have the background of about 6 or 7 generations of breeding stock that we have never needed to worm. A closed flock book so the crosses really enjoy hybrid vigor.

Other hair breed is Barbados. Two variations in that breed. Tend to be a little flighty in general with less size.

Strong market in the east but it is seasonal.

I started with Wiltipers at school, and went over to Dorper after I bought my first property and had some improved grazing for them. I started with a small flock of Damara when we moved to Namibia, for the commercial market I crossed some with Suffolk for a larger lamb, most were sold live to local tribesmen. Before my recent move I had started a flock of Wiltshire Horns, the only British hair/shedding breed, I had intended doing a Wiltshire/Dorper composite (Wiltshire Horn have less footrot problems in UK conditions) When I can organize some grazing here I intend starting with Wiltshire Horns again.

Latest posts