She was Pregnant, I was right

Help Support CattleToday:

FlyingLSimmentals

Reaction score
A near 11 month old Stetson daughter that my uncles and dad share a partnership on aborted a fetus today around the size of a full grown house cat or small Beagle. Had told them she had stayed in the pasture too long with the herd bull and young brothers that she should have been put up much sooner and to at least go get a lute shot to give her if they wanted to keep her. Uncles told Dad and I that she might possibly be bred but they didn't think so and apparently wasn't even gonna get her a lute shot to be safe. Well, I talked dad into going ahead and getting the lute shot and I would help him get her in the head gate and give it to her. Well, I got the proof today that she was bred and that they had about ruined a nice heifer. Some people can be so dang cheap, lazy, or both and it really stinks when it's family.

FlyingLSimmentals":8ousvfkb said:
A near 11 month old Stetson daughter that my uncles and dad share a partnership on aborted a fetus today around the size of a full grown house cat or small Beagle. Had told them she had stayed in the pasture too long with the herd bull and young brothers that she should have been put up much sooner and to at least go get a lute shot to give her if they wanted to keep her. Uncles told Dad and I that she might possibly be bred but they didn't think so and apparently wasn't even gonna get her a lute shot to be safe. Well, I talked dad into going ahead and getting the lute shot and I would help him get her in the head gate and give it to her. Well, I got the proof today that she was bred and that they had about ruined a nice heifer. Some people can be so dang cheap, lazy, or both and it really stinks when it's family.

Why is she ruined?

I'd still watch her close for weight loss. Often it seems like they get infections with mid to late term aborts. Dose of la300, will clear it up if it happens.

Precisely why we now always lute when we wean - after pulling the bulls off a minimum of 2 weeks prior. We lost a beautiful heifer when she was 7 months old (to the day). When we found her, already dead, we could clearly see little hooves sticking out. Had no idea a heifer could get bred so young, based on the size of the hooves probably 3 months along, but we learned the hard way. Hope your little girl recovers without any issues.

Me & the wife have a small place & had our cow out at a friends ranch for a while. While she was there she had a heifer calf in the fall of 2013 & the plan was to keep her.

Being(sort of) new at this last February our cow had her 5th calf at the end of Feb(2015) with no problems. Nice dun colored bull calf.

A week later on the same day but in the evening I was at work & the wife calls & says there is another calf on the ground???? :shock: :shock:

So while they were gone we missed(my fault) the heifer getting separated & she ended up having here first heifer calf at 16 months old. I ended up getting both into the barn as the heifer didnt clean her off very well & the weather wasnt the best but stayed up to make sure the calf was nursing. Kept them penned up for a day & all was good.

They both did good & should done weaning this month.

I'm on the fence what to do with her heifer. Coming up on one year so I need to get her Bangs vacc soon or sell for freezer beef.

Figured I would share this story & see if anyone has had any similar outcomes...

WW

wagonwrench":flttj03y said:
Me & the wife have a small place & had our cow out at a friends ranch for a while. While she was there she had a heifer calf in the fall of 2013 & the plan was to keep her.

Being(sort of) new at this last February our cow had her 5th calf at the end of Feb(2015) with no problems. Nice dun colored bull calf.

A week later on the same day but in the evening I was at work & the wife calls & says there is another calf on the ground???? :shock: :shock:

So while they were gone we missed(my fault) the heifer getting separated & she ended up having here first heifer calf at 16 months old. I ended up getting both into the barn as the heifer didnt clean her off very well & the weather wasnt the best but stayed up to make sure the calf was nursing. Kept them penned up for a day & all was good.

They both did good & should done weaning this month.

I'm on the fence what to do with her heifer. Coming up on one year so I need to get her Bangs vacc soon or sell for freezer beef.

Figured I would share this story & see if anyone has had any similar outcomes...

WW
here's what your looking for :D viewtopic.php?f=19&t=101418

Latest posts