Sharpening Wheel

Help Support CattleToday:

http://blog.lostartpress.com/2013/06/28 ... -are-made/

A good one here--with pictures:
http://web2.geo.msu.edu/geogmich/Grindstones.htm

The first step in quarrying this stone had to be done from the top of the ground. Men would stake out an area thought to be large enough to produce all the stone they could make in one season. To clear the area all trees, shrubs and soil must be removed. After removing trees and shrubs, the soil was removed by horse-drawn scrapers. Following this, all shale had to be removed to get to the usable sandstone. Stone picks were used to loosen the shale. The stone is in layers and freezing and thawing causes it to split in layers in frozen areas. Usually the men started to clear the area in March or April depending upon the weather. The real quarrying was not done until all frost was out of the ground. The whole system of quarrying in this area was done by hand tools and manual labor, except for steam engines, derricks and horse-drawn vehicles, as there was no electricity in the area at that time.

After the area called a field was cleared for the actual getting out of stone the men had to get down to the layers of rock. This was done by drilling holes and dynamiting to get to the rock where they could start to actually take out stone. When they had a hole large enough they drilled into the rock from the sides. This was done by controlled dynamiting and would split the layers of rock apart. Then by a gin pole arrangement the stone was raised to the top of the ground. Steam drills were used to cut the stone in squares. After the stone was cut, bars and wedges were used to pry them loose and they were wedged apart so the gin pole affair could be fastened to them. A gin pole was made by fastening two poles together, one in the ground and the other fastened to the bottom by a hinge arrangement. These had two pulleys and a long cable fastened to them. One end was fastened to the engine and the other had clamps which were attached to the cut stone. The steam engine operator pulled the stone to the top of the ground by a device that would the cable around a pulley on the engine. When the two poles were parallel the stone would be on the top of the ground. It was swung away from the hole and laid flat on the ground, where men with picks trimmed off the corners and then picked a square hole in the center. Then the men put the grappling hooks on the stone and the engine operator lifted it on to a flat car. The grindstone company built and operated its own narrow gauge railroad truck and cars and engine for this purpose.

"Turning" the stone
"Turning" a stone means to carve the rock into a flat, round grindstone. To do this, the stone was first hauled to the mill where it would be finished. Here another steam engine was used to pick up the stone and it was guided by men to a machine called a mandrill, where it was put on a large iron bar and securely fastened there by bolts and washers. However due to the hole in the stone ropes instead of cables were used in this operation. Men stood on each side of this stone, which was upright on the bar. With long iron tools held against the stone, they cut the sides and edges of the stone. These tools were kept sharpened by the blacksmith who worked in a small building close to the mill. These tools looked similar to our crowbars. The stone was kept turning by means of a steam engine and pulleys, and the men held their tools against the side of the stone as it turned, thus cutting and shaping it. When they had done one section they moved the tool forward to the next spike etc., until they had turned it to the center. The stone had to be exact for perfect balance or they would not be saleable. When a stone was finished, it had to be carefully removed from the mandrill so as not to chip the edge, which would ruin the stone. Stones were soaked to soften them before turning, as the stone is porous and does chip easily when not wet. The finished stones were piled with wedges or pieces of lumber between them to allow them to dry. Companies purchasing the stone wanted it dry as it would be much lighter and they purchased it by the pound. Stone sold for abut 3 to 3 ½ cents a pound. Smaller farm stones usually had a flat price as did both whet stones and scythe stones. They were made in a separate small factory. Mitchell G. Cook was at one time manager of this operation. Its output was about 140 gross a day.

I would love to have one. My grandfather would always "Tom Sawyer" us into sharpening all his hoes axes and knoves. He would sit down at his, which was a pedal model, and start whistling like he was having a ball. Pretty soon me or my brother just had to join in the fun....

skyhightree1":3ifztlpt said:
Good idea K I will as well.

Dun thats true and funny about your scars. Do you have any idea what kind of stone it is?
We just called it a "scythe stone". About a 10 or so inches long and 2 inches wide with the wide sides being sort of rounded so you didn;t have a square edge on the scythe blade. The narrow sides were about 1/2 inch wide. I think I still have one around somewhere, if I find it I'll post a picture. A sharpe scythe doesn;t take much work, it's repetitive, almost like using a weed eater, just swinging it across in front of you, take a step and repeat (for hours at a time)

dun":i44ry15s said:
skyhightree1":i44ry15s said:

Dun thats true and funny about your scars. Do you have any idea what kind of stone it is?
We just called it a "scythe stone". About a 10 or so inches long and 2 inches wide with the wide sides being sort of rounded so you didn;t have a square edge on the scythe blade. The narrow sides were about 1/2 inch wide. I think I still have one around somewhere, if I find it I'll post a picture. A sharpe scythe doesn;t take much work, it's repetitive, almost like using a weed eater, just swinging it across in front of you, take a step and repeat (for hours at a time)

Yea, Great grandpa had one that was wood he left out by a building wood had rotted on it same with some kind of wheat scythe that had wood limbs to catch the wheat so you could lay it down they rotted and family tossed when I was about 14. We had a metal scythe not sure what happened to it but they work well just labor intensive.

dun":wz6hh8ka said:
skyhightree1":wz6hh8ka said:

I dunno--I've never picked one up, much less used one for hours at a time, but from the smooth worn down areas I've seen on the the wooden handles, they sure do look like work to me.

I guess one would keep ya in shape tho--didn't seem to hurt this girl any. Nice-------------arms.
Ava%2Bwith%2Bscythe%2Bfl%2B1darker.jpg

Ava's career as an organic farmer began eight years ago when she was eleven-years-old. She worked the till at a farmer's market stand in Cold Spring on Saturday mornings. Soon she was spending her summers on the farm and last year lived there in a trailer. Next year, she and another intern from the farm are starting their own organic farm in New Hampshire.
A skill Ava developed on the farm was how to use and sharpen a scythe. She said she learnt a great deal from watching eighty-year-old English farmers demonstrating their skills with a scythe on YouTube. The two scythes she now owns came from her father (not a farmer) who had them in a shed.

skyhightree1":102u2e3w said:
Yea, Great grandpa had one that was wood he left out by a building wood had rotted on it same with some kind of wheat scythe that had wood limbs to catch the wheat so you could lay it down
We called it a cradle, don;t know what the real name is. Maybe "wheat catcher thingamajig". Didn;t use it for grass since we weren;t going to shock it and then thresh it.

dun":25cbosnn said:
skyhightree1":25cbosnn said:
Yea, Great grandpa had one that was wood he left out by a building wood had rotted on it same with some kind of wheat scythe that had wood limbs to catch the wheat so you could lay it down
We called it a cradle, don;t know what the real name is. Maybe "wheat catcher thingamajig". Didn;t use it for grass since we weren;t going to shock it and then thresh it.

oh I never know what that thing was called. I do know id like to find another and buy 1 at a sale. He had some curved sickle things that he used to cut corn that I cant find for the life of me think some grew legs. It had a wood handle like a knife went up and was curved

We've got several sickles, but no scythe. I would like to find a good one, wooden handle preferred....

I really like the curves on that.. SCYTHE. I think a well sharpened scythe may be less work than a weedeater in some conditions... I find tall grass on a weedeater just tangles around the stem too badly

Latest posts