Sharpening a ceramic knife

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
My wife bought me a knife that has a ceramic blade. Suppose to never need sharpening :lol: . Its dull now . This blade is so hard I cant get my wet rock to do a thing to it. I put it on my electric knife sharpener and it looked like I was using a grinder on steel with sparks going everywhere. Any idea on how to sharpen this thing?

You might be able to sharpen it with a diamond hone. Otherwise you'll need to send it back to the factory to be sharpened. I had a pocket knife with one of those blades for a short while (not long enough to require sharpening). Don't try to pry out staples with a ceramic blade. :oops:

denoginnizer":3ndvz73t said:
My wife bought me a knife that has a ceramic blade.

Is there any chance you could accidentally and regretably drop it in the river some time about six months from now?

Some folks bring me shop made knives that are steel and hard as file blades. They are hollow ground too. The first thing you have to do is get the shoulder off and it is tough on a hollow ground knife. If that knife of yours is hollow ground, I'd absolutely accidentally lose it at some point and leave it at that.

denoginnizer":19cpqc31 said:
My wife bought me a knife that has a ceramic blade. Suppose to never need sharpening :lol: . Its dull now . This blade is so hard I cant get my wet rock to do a thing to it. I put it on my electric knife sharpener and it looked like I was using a grinder on steel with sparks going everywhere. Any idea on how to sharpen this thing?
You sparked some interest in me so I did a little googling and found this. http://users.ameritech.net/knives/knives2.htm
Scroll down and you will find a small section on how to sharpen ceramic blades, as well as some other good info.

HOLD ON :!: :!: :!: Dont lose a ceramic blade kinfe, and while your at it dont use a ceramic blade knife as a utlilty kinfe, and please dont use the electric knife sharpener again. For starters what brand of knife do you have? Did you want a ceramic blade? What is your intended use for this knife? I ask because a good ceramic knife is a pretty specialized blade. They can be sharpened by diamond dust stones but a good company will stand behind their product and sharpen it for you.

3fifty7 is probably exactly right. Yesterday I read that thread Nova provided and parts of it were enlightening. Generally I only use my diamond sharpeners is something is seriously wrong.

I am opinionated on knives and keep mine razor sharp. If I process 9 feral hogs, I don't have to sharpen much. I just switch knives and prefer the Kraton handle knives for the greasy tasks.

My grandaddy taught us all about knives when we were kids. I prefer a carbon blade that you cannot see your breath on. Others prefer things different and I am sorry for spouting off about losing that knife. It could be a good one.

Latest posts