4 wheel drive questions

Help Support CattleToday:

rockkkkkher said:
Trying to find out info, though. ON MY 99-03 FORD F250 SD 4x4, MANUAL SAYS TO PUT TRANS IN NEUTRAL THEN SHIFT TRANSFER CASE TO 4L or 4H. QUEST> IS IT SAYS NOTHING ABOUT THEN SHIFTING TRANS INTO REVERSE. IF IM SUPPOSED TO KEEP TRANS IN NEUTRAL HOW CAN I GO IN REVERSE ? GET WHAT IM SAYING ? ALSO WONDER IF TRASFER CASE WAS IN 4L or $H AND I ACCIDENTALLY SHIFTED TO D-DRIVE on TRANSMISSION/column WHAT WOULD HAPPEN. Nobody has answered this in 5 years of asking.

First it will ring a little, then it will grind, then you'll hear it click in. You'll jerk some when it clicks in. All you have to do is let your brother-in-law drive your truck and you can experience it first hand like I did.

Since this thread began I've drove my truck a few thousand miles in 4wd on the highway. Driving in snow and ice I never take my truck out of 4wd. The truck has 215k miles and no problems yet.

JMJ Farms said:
Y'all are talking to a one hit wonder
Sure, like a prank poster. He's been asking for five years and no one told him that after you put the transmission in neutral and engage 4wd hi or lo that you can then put the transmission in drive or reverse and proceed with your driving in 4wd mode. Does that sound like a legitimate question?

ga.prime said:
JMJ Farms said:
Y'all are talking to a one hit wonder
Sure, like a prank poster. He's been asking for five years and no one told him that after you put the transmission in neutral and engage 4wd hi or lo that you can then put the transmission in drive or reverse and proceed with your driving in 4wd mode. Does that sound like a legitimate question?

Legitimate question? Maybe. The part where he's been trying to get it answered for 5 years? Highly unlikely. Looks like the question was formed from several internet sources. But idk.

I can answer a lot of questions about 4wd problems and functionality.

1) A 97 z71 will shift into 4HI at 60 mph with no apparent long term effects. It will also attempt to shift into reverse at around 40 mph. But it makes a heck of a racket with the latter.

2) A 96 Z71 will run 100 mph in 4 HI with no apparent long term effects.

3) A 76 Ford will not spin 44s on asphalt while locked in 4 LO. Well it will, but only for a matter of seconds.

4) A 13 RAM will get hung in 4 LO if you get mud in the actuator. It will move very slowly when hung in LO while you limp miles down the road to a water hose.

5) A 87 Toyota is pretty much bulletproof and will go almost anywhere. Unless the water gets to deep. At which point all components usually completely shut down simultaneously.

Maybe I was reading it wrong but it read to me like he put his trans in neutral and then shifted into four wheel drive and didn't know what to do next because the manual didn't say and in five years nobody could tell him. And he didn't put it in drive or reverse after shifting into 4wd just to see what would happen? I ain't buying that.

Latest posts