Setting up and using 4wheeled hay rake?

Help Support CattleToday:

luke03cr

Reaction score
I have acquired a 3pt 4 wheeled hay rake that i will be trying out this week on my hay crop. I have used a rollbar rake in the past but it is broken at this time. How do yal set your rake up to work rite? what are sum good tips u use to make this work? I have read sum articles online about users having trouble opperating them but this is my only option for this season and am nervous about it not working, so any advice would be greatly appriciated.

ABrauny":33vn3o2z said:
Do you mean a gyro rake?
No, i mean a hay rake that mounts to the 3pt hitch, with 4 raking wheels that put the hay into windrows

Hook to it and go........it'll let you know what you need to do.

Did you start right off using a chain for the toplink? Does this keep it from slamming the back wheel into the ground? Thanks.

I thought about a 3pt rake this yr but was worried about rough hay fields.

Floyd":2yuyjpgv said:
Did you start right off using a chain for the toplink? Does this keep it from slamming the back wheel into the ground? Thanks.

I was told they would be good for rough or uneven fields. I guess il find out this week threw lots of trial and error.

luke03cr":1xo51xm8 said:
Floyd":1xo51xm8 said:

I was told they would be good for rough or uneven fields. I guess il find out this week threw lots of trial and error.
I hope you got a bunch of extra tines for it.

My fields are fairly even with just a little slope on some, so breaking tines shouldnt be an issue. it also supposidly floats oposite the hitch when encountring rough terrain-, i assume using the large springs that are attached to the rake. I am just wandring about proper ways to set it up and use it, seeing as ive only ever used a roolbar rake, and would like to cut down on as much trial and error as posible so as to quickly get my hay crop finished.

It was the "rough uneven fields" comment that made me emtion the extra tines. Rough and uneven to me is diller holes, run off areas, beginnings of sink holes, etc.

Latest posts