Setting up a gravity bin advice?????

Help Support CattleToday:

Many years ago nearly every small dairy in my area had a fed mill on site. One brand was a mix-mill. And there were others.
The mills consisted of a hammer mill that was run off of a electric motor. You also had feed tanks that had augurs that fed the mix mill. The grain tank for either maize or corn was the largest. Then you had a concentrate tank. You could very well dial in any mix that you wanted. Best I remember you could use up to four ingredients. There was also a soybean roaster to roast the beans before grinding.

Not trying to knock your bin setup. But it looks like you will get plenty of exercise filling the five gallon buckets and carrying them to what ever your are going to haul it in to feed.

hurleyjd said:
Not trying to knock your bin setup. But it looks like you will get plenty of exercise filling the five gallon buckets and carrying them to what ever your are going to haul it in to feed.

It's less exercise than we were getting. Previously feed had to be shoveled and carried much further.

Bigfoot said:
hurleyjd said:

It's less exercise than we were getting. Previously feed had to be shoveled and carried much further.
In the future you may want to install this system and get you into a covered area where the weather will not hamper you.
Really wish I knew how to post the image instead of the link

https://www.brockgrain.com/products.php?product_id=204

hurleyjd said:
Bigfoot said:
hurleyjd said:

In the future you may want to install this system and get you into a covered area where the weather will not hamper you.
Really wish I knew how to post the image instead of the link

https://www.brockgrain.com/products.php?product_id=204

Nice set up, but way out of my price range. Most calves I ever have on feed at one time is 70, and 40-45 is probably average.

Picked up an auger, that seems to work pretty good. Already have gravity wagons, so I guess I'm in business to start filling it.

Latest posts