Setting up a gravity bin advice?????

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Got a real good deal on a 12 ton gravity bin. Looks like it's going to be difficult to load as well as sit up. Any advice that would be helpful, is welcome.

Rambling thoughts:
It has six legs, not four. I guess I'll sit it on 3 chunks of crosstie.

It's heavy, and laying on the ground. I was pretty much able to pick up one corner by myself. Could six stout men mouch it up on a trailer. Trailer is only about 12" off the ground.

It'll be 20' to the top from the ground, and about 8' across.

Bigfoot said:
Got a real good deal on a 12 ton gravity bin. Looks like it's going to be difficult to load as well as sit up. Any advice that would be helpful, is welcome.

Rambling thoughts:

It's heavy, and laying on the ground. I was pretty much able to pick up one corner by myself. Could six stout men mouch it up on a trailer. Trailer is only about 12" off the ground.

Buy some thirty foot long tow straps at Atwoods or someone like that. Back the trailer as close as you can and in front of and inline with the tank hook the tow straps to it in a high position and hook them to the tractor back the tractor up until the tank is about 45 degrees to the ground.Back the trailer under it and lay it on the trailer. You need to really pour a concrete slab for it to set on. Set it up the same way only have a strap tied to the trailer and the tank to keep it from falling over when pulling it up.

Back the trailer up beside the bin, hook the tow straps to the side of the trailer. Roll the bin over the straps up close to the trailer throw the straps over the bin and the trailer and pull the bin up and on with whatever is at hand. Make sure to have stakes on the trailer so it doesn't roll off the other side.

hurleyjd said:
Bigfoot said:

Rambling thoughts:

Buy some thirty foot long tow straps at Atwoods or someone like that. Back the trailer as close as you can and in front of and inline with the tank hook the tow straps to it in a high position and hook them to the tractor back the tractor up until the tank is about 45 degrees to the ground.Back the trailer under it and lay it on the trailer. You need to really pour a concrete slab for it to set on. Set it up the same way only have a strap tied to the trailer and the tank to keep it from falling over when pulling it up.

Lotsa good advice in this post. If you don't want to pour a slab, you could pour 6 sonotubes(or just dig holes) of concrete to match up with the 6 feet on the bin. I would dig down a foot past frost line and bell out the bottoms if possible. Then bolt the feet to each concrete pad.
I have been keeping an eye out for a reasonable gravity bin myself. Congrats on the find!

Be sure to make sure that when you set it up, that you are far enough away from all overhead electrical lines to meet code. Filling those bins with a stinger arm in the vicinity of high voltage electrical is serious and dangerous business.

Do I need to screw anchors in the ground, and cable to bin to help prevent it from blowing over?

Bigfoot said:
Do I need to screw anchors in the ground, and cable to bin to help prevent it from blowing over?

No one around here cables the small bins(20' tall). Just be sure you have it anchored to some heavy concrete.

bball said:
Bigfoot said:

No one around here cables the small bins(20' tall). Just be sure you have it anchored to some heavy concrete.

I know I can pour the pad, I question how hard its going to be to bolt to that. I'll never preset anything hat I can sit it down over. I have never seen a tapcon big enough to hold it down.

Bigfoot said:
bball said:
Bigfoot said:

I know I can pour the pad, I question how hard its going to be to bolt to that. I'll never preset anything hat I can sit it down over. I have never seen a tapcon big enough to hold it down.

Drop ins or SS wedge anchors. Enough of those should lock it down.

bball said:
Bigfoot said:
bball said:

Drop ins or SS wedge anchors. Enough of those should lock it down.

I called the only place in town I thought would have wedge anchors. They give me the name of a guy with a truck, that puts them up all the time. he said if I pour the pad, he will stand it up and bolt it down for $300. It's not worth dieing over $300 if he has the equipment to safely do it.

sstterry said:
Bigfoot said:
I got the bin home Saturday. It ends up it's an 18 ton bin.

Can you show us a picture when it is installed along with how he anchored it?

I will. It's gonna be a while before I can pour the pad.

dieselbeef said:
whats goin in that..cuz bridging can be a real problem

Haven't fully decided. Might even go back to feeding shelled corn. Hadn't done that in a while. Ethanol plant here in town, might go with DDG. When I get time, I'll shop and see what commodity pellets are available. I'm hoping I'm up in that tonage for a nice discount.

What ever I get, the cows will get a few pounds a day from February through the green up, and all calves I wean, I keep about 90 days.

Bigfoot said:
dieselbeef said:
whats goin in that..cuz bridging can be a real problem

Haven't fully decided. Might even go back to feeding shelled corn. Hadn't done that in a while. Ethanol plant here in town, might go with DDG. When I get time, I'll shop and see what commodity pellets are available. I'm hoping I'm up in that tonage for a nice discount.

What ever I get, the cows will get a few pounds a day from February through the green up, and all calves I wean, I keep about 90 days.
For DDG bin make sure it is skinny and can get into it. It cakes up pretty good and will get a crust too sometimes.

Bigfoot said:
sstterry said:
Bigfoot said:
I got the bin home Saturday. It ends up it's an 18 ton bin.

Can you show us a picture when it is installed along with how he anchored it?

I will. It's gonna be a while before I can pour the pad.
When you pour the pad add enough so you can cover the auger with a lean to or shed this will give you some protection when loading feed out in inclement weather.

Long time finishing this process, but is up now. The bin was laying flat when the tornado came through, so it wen for a wild ride. Got two pretty bad dents in it, but won't hurt the function. The outfit that came to sit it up only charged $300. Glad I went that direction. For that price they:stood it up, bolted it to the pad with 1"x6" self tapping bolts, and installed a bucket spout.

Like most projects, I had more in it than I'd like. Pad, labor, materials, bucket spout, and bin total about $2000. Totally frees up several square feet of barn space, and is literally a few feet away from where I feed. I figure those two things are worth something.

Final determination is, that it will hold 15 tons.

Great job done. I sure could/should do that. I have an old stainless steel bin that was used in the fertilizer plant my husband ran. We put it in our hayloft and made a wooden chute thru the floor. We have a slide and can fill buckets downstairs of the barn. Works great. Holds 4 ton. Perfect. But. The corn dust in the hayloft is getting out of hand. I only have 1 source that can "blow" the grain into the loft. I could get local farmers deliver corn into an outside bin. Would save money & mess.

Latest posts