Seriously Considering Selling the Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

I am sorta-kinda famous for my steak...especially rib eye and filet or porterhouse. me and my ole lady have been together neraly 15 years, and the first time we met I had grilled her a filet. She won;t go out to eat at even Ruth's Chriss now. Said she has never had a better steak anywhere. One of the keys, is I buy them in the "Manager's special " section at Kroger. Get them when they have a little age on them. About 12 years ago, I was browsing that section, and saw some packs of lamb chops marked down, Looked like little porter houses or T-bones. So, i bought them, took them home and marinaded and seasoned them like I do steak grilled them the next day on mesquite like I do steak, and...OMG! She and I both said we would never eat steak again when we can get these! Over the last 10 years, everybody I grilled them for has said the same thing. My lamb chops are like my steak...you don't need a knife to cut them. The last 2 years they have gone from $9 a pound to sometimes $21 a pound, though. But so has good steak. If you don't like lamb, you have never eaten any fixed by a real cook.

As long as that is something YOU WANT. Once it is farmed, it would be hard to put it back to grass, at least in our area. It darn sure would be costly. Can you find someone with cows willing to rent your pasture? Then you could still hear the cows munching on grass and you wouldn't be drastically changing your land. Just something to think about. Good luck to you, whatever you decide.
Several have asked, but I don't trust most of them or want them around the place. The only guy interested that I'd really want to deal with decided it was too far from his house after some thought. I don't blame him.

I have a cow-sitting job for the end of December through early February checking on a herd for a guy 4 or 5 miles away while he's in Florida. 56 cows and two bulls one place and 13 heifers another. He's leaving his truck for me to use, paying me a fair price and paying extra if anything calves and needs help or I have to do any vet work or repairs. He had a bull jump the fence about a month earlier than he planned to turn them out, so he figures he has an early calf or two in the mix. His dad lives on one place and is able to put out hay and check water, but his eyesight is poor and he can't see the cows in the field well enough to know how they are. Didn't know the guy from Adam, but the vet apparently gave me a good recommendation.