Separating cows and calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Kerry

Reaction score
I have a 5-month-old heifer calf and a year old bull as well as a 2-year-old heifer. I will be breeding the bull and the 2-year-old heifer. Right now I have the three of them together in one pasture. Should I separate the heifer calf from the bull? I should also point out that the bull and 2 yr old are Dexters and the calf is an Angus/Hereford. My vet also advised that I may want to separate the 2 yr old heifer from the bull for a while so the bull and heifer will want to be together. Your expert advice is appreciated and as I am sure you can tell – I am a new to raising cows. Thank You.

id get the 5 month old out of their pasture . she is way to young tobe in there at all. as for seperating them id leave the breeding stock togather. scott

Absolutely seperate the 5 month old. I had a 6 month old heifer who was bred to my small angus bull. We learned the hard way to keep them seperated until the heifer was 75-80%% of her mature weight.

As far as the yearling bull - many will argue he is the one who should be seperated until he is 17 months old. He could get hurt and lose his desire for the ladies.

bigbull338":2wqdhb2o said:
id get the 5 month old out of their pasture . she is way to young tobe in there at all. as for seperating them id leave the breeding stock togather. scott

I agree.

Ryan

Latest posts