sent a calf to the sale

Help Support CattleToday:

Don't Beefmasters have horns?
One stick used to measure a good seedstock producer is how willing he is to cut a mediocre bull calf.

yes they do have horns.an are polled as well.wont be no sorry bulls sold as breeding stock.only the very top of the bulls will be kept an sold.b/c of the selling price.bulls will sale from $1500 to $4000.same with show heifers.im a heck of alot stricter on reg cattle than most people.the birth weights weaning weights yearling an sale weights will be recorded.along with the cow weights at calving an weaning.

bigbull, you gonna get some of them black beefmasters that I been hearing so much about?

im really not buying them based on color.buying them on their bloodlines.my partner bought 10 red bred heifers bred to the black bulls.an he has a reg black an red beefmaster bull to breed them back to.when they calve.scott

Scott
well at least your sticking to black cross bred cattle.After a fashion that is.Oh Jersey's come in black to LOL!!!!

Beef11":10ahzlb3 said:
Don't Beefmasters have horns?
One stick used to measure a good seedstock producer is how willing he is to cut a mediocre bull calf.

some are polled.

the black is just what the breeder prefers.that we are getting cattle from.i prefer red.but really not going on color/going on the bloodlines.id rather have polled.would save from dehorning.

bigbull338":3enif28q said:
an he has a reg black an red beefmaster bull to breed them back to.when they calve.scott
Scott, what is the color pattern on the black an red beefmasters.. Is iy=t similar to the holstein pattern, with red background and black spots, or like belted galloways. Red with a black belt or black with a red belt. I have never seen any out here. They could be interested. How much angus do they have in their background?

tobe honest with you.i do not know if theres any angus in them or not.that has never been brought up.both the black an red are solid colors.there are some spotted up paints.that are red an white.

big bull, is there black brahmans, shorthorns or herefords.The answer is no. so what is the natural black cattle? Angus. So would not you agree that these black beefmasters would have some angus in them. So the beefmaster breeders are playing copy cat too. Trying to ride on the angus reputation. They can't make it on their own. Right? You should be ashamed of yourself.

Well, I sold a 605 lb horned steer calf this last saturday 12/17/05 and he brought $117 cwt. that comes to $707.85, which by my math comes out more then that 800 lb calf. It took me about a minute to cut him when he was a month old. No other work into him. BTW, he was a twin, his sister was 545 lb and brought $111 cwt.

Having quality beef animals makes the difference, not any extra work on my part.

thanks for the info sidney.calf done real good.but to me it iabt worth $4000 to cut the bull calvesby getting a squeeze chute.my cows would kill you if you caught their calves at birth.we all have differant ways of doing things.

i know it would.but i have very little use for 1.when the cows need working.i do that w/o a headgate or chute.with the cows standing in the loading ally.

bigbull338":3ctmll8s said:
thanks for the info sidney.calf done real good.but to me it iabt worth $4000 to cut the bull calvesby getting a squeeze chute.my cows would kill you if you caught their calves at birth.we all have differant ways of doing things.
If you are in fact getting into the Reg.Beefmaster Business then i can't see how you can not afford a squeeze chute.You can get one, and it not cost 4,000.00.

I never knew a 1/2 Holstin cow have enough ambition to get on the hook.But i realize there are exceptions. With you being an x dairyman why don't you run them ol waspy stins into the milk parlor put'em in the milk stantions if nothing else.

I'm sure that SC Farms can advise you on the show heifer end of things.

the cows will stay at my partners.we are setting up a hydrolic squeeze chute there.ill just keep the bulls here an raise them till they are sold.

Scott, We've got 2 calf tables and I don't use them - too much hassle for me. We just throw them on the ground, sit on top of them, hold an ear over their eye thats looking up, pull the front leg back towards their back, wedge it behind my leg, step on the bottom hind leg and put the other hind leg behind my leg so it can't kick me in front. I don't know if you can even picture that but I'm sure it is a site to see me cut a calf by my self. I usually have help but we do it the same way unless it is a real big calf then we put him in the chute and pull up hard on his tail and I but in a pipe behind him and then I get in behind him and cut him that way.
I either sort out the calves that need to be cut when I work the cows (2 times per year) or grab the calf when I'm cubing the cows and throw it in the back of the truck or carry it into the pens to cut it and tag it so the momma can't get me. Most all of our cows are calm enough that they won't get me anyway but it's better to be safe then sorry. I've heard of people using a round bale feeder to get in and work up the calf, haven't tried that though.

Good for you Sidney. Managment doesnt cost..it pays. You are a really good example to some peopel who need it..keep it up

Latest posts