Semen Shares

Help Support CattleToday:

vs_cattle":23gyk5oy said:
What Does It Mean When You Buy Semen Shares? Full Share Half Share

Whatever is designated. Could be anywhere from 1% to 99% ownership. With or without bull ossession also.

Shares also could be set up where an individual buys a certain portion of a predesignated sell of semen with no other outsiders being able to buy any.

Example: I have 10 semen shares to sell for $100 each for 100 straws.

When I sell all 10 shares no one else can buy semen that year. Only the share owners can buy more.

That is designed to limit ownership of calves to fewer individuals in hopes of making his progeny more valuable to the general public.

Mike,
When you limit ownership of the calves to fewer individuals in hopes of making his progeny more valuable to the general public Does this work often or 1/2 the time or is it more of luck to get a hold of a bull at the right time before he makes it big?

vs_cattle":2yxefu6u said:
Mike,
When you limit ownership of the calves to fewer individuals in hopes of making his progeny more valuable to the general public Does this work often or 1/2 the time or is it more of luck to get a hold of a bull at the right time before he makes it big?

I would have to be psychic to be able to answer that. Sorry.

MikeC":2jum50n4 said:
That is designed to limit ownership of calves to fewer individuals in hopes of making his progeny more valuable to the general public.

I've always thought that was an interesting concept. A friend of mine who used to raise Limis had the same mind set.

Generally, in the Angus breed, the idea seems to be get him out and get him used. Let's see how good he is. And I'm grateful to all who use those young bulls.

The Horned Hereford people were kings at this concept.

They often had the high-dollar circlejerks.

Then you had to go buy a son from them insteqad of being able to use the bull yourself.

It sorked so well that by the late '70's they lost marketshare and have never recovered.

mtnman

I don't believe that the closed off AI bulls work very well anymore. One of the best polled hereford EPD bulls is a bull called momentum. He seems to be a good bull but you never hear anything about him or his progeny. I believe people would make more money letting the public use him and get high accuracies.

mtnman":2fasz0bd said:
The Horned Hereford people were kings at this concept.

They often had the high-dollar circlejerks.

Then you had to go buy a son from them insteqad of being able to use the bull yourself.

It sorked so well that by the late '70's they lost marketshare and have never recovered.

mtnman

As I understand it the semen share on only applies to the stems. You could still use the bull natural if you could get your hands on it. Maybe I was just reading into the comment and am addressing something you didnt intend to say.

oakcreekfarms":19138cir said:
I believe people would make more money letting the public use him and get high accuracies.

I agree oakcreek. Seems as tho some folks are afraid of that though, seems like their purpose was to prove a bull in select herds on select cow families. That makes the bull look better and his EPD's stay where the owner's want them. If they don't put him on the public market then joe blow like me can't use him on my worst registered cows to try to get this high dollar bull to improve my herd in one generation.
Just a bit of false advertising if you ask me and not enough folks are willing to look thru that.

I have seen many sales with semen shares up for bid. If the previous analogy was a driving factor why would they sell the semen shares rather than retain.

Why would you buy a bull without at least some percentage of the semen shares?

Why would you retain semen shares for a bull you no longer own?

3MR
Why would you buy a bull without at least some percentage of the semen shares?

Why would you retain semen shares for a bull you no longer own?

I Think More Then Often When You Buy A Bull You Get Some Percentage Of The Semen Rights. If You Dont Like The # Buy A Different Bull

You Would Retain Interest On Bulls You Sold To Make Little Money On Semen And To Use On Your Own Cattle

Latest posts