selling feeder's by ''epd's''

Help Support CattleToday:

mwj

Reaction score
With all the discusion on ribeyes and marbling , maybe those feeders should be sold by there epd's and not ''eyeballed'' till they are delivered :cboy: If you will buy embryos that way why can't you convince that feeder to buy the ''paper'' :roll: Will we see Superior auctions in the near future that just have the figures and no cattle? Would this solve all the percieved prob. with the carcas quality?

In some cases I almost think they may be sold that way. When the sire of a bunch of calves is annoiunced those from a very high carcass EPD bull may sell for more.

mwj":3q9eiiso said:
With all the discusion on ribeyes and marbling , maybe those feeders should be sold by there epd's and not ''eyeballed'' till they are delivered :cboy: If you will buy embryos that way why can't you convince that feeder to buy the ''paper'' :roll: Will we see Superior auctions in the near future that just have the figures and no cattle? Would this solve all the percieved prob. with the carcas quality?

You wouldn't have any ribeye's to eat this country beef industry is still a commericial operation. The only papers the commericial cattleman is carrying is those in his back pocket in case a pain hits him in the pasture.

mwj":1kbkuu2r said:

Epd's will become more of a factor in buying and selling feeder cattle in the future, but I don't think too many buyers will buy cattle they haven't seen first. Just as with selecting breeding stock, EPD's are just part of the equation. Calves can have good genetics behind them but still be undesirable because of poor management practices.

Caustic Burno":2qgfkgvx said:
mwj":2qgfkgvx said:

You wouldn't have any ribeye's to eat this country beef industry is still a commericial operation. The only papers the commericial cattleman is carrying is those in his back pocket in case a pain hits him in the pasture.

:shock: :D :cboy:

Caustic Burno":122dah0s said:
The only papers the commericial cattleman is carrying is those in his back pocket in case a pain hits him in the pasture.

:lol: Leaves and old oil rags work pretty well in a pinch.

I think commercial EPDs on feeder calves would be just about worthless. Assuming you knew what bull sired which calf (no easy task on a large range operation) you know what a purchased registered bull's EPDs are; but without reporting any of his progeny you have got NO accuracy. The dam side is even more complicated. You MIGHT know her sire's EPDs; but what about her dam's? A 200 cow commercial herd that were raised on the place ranging in age from 2-16 could EASILY have 8 or 9 different sires represented out there just in the cowherd. Using the cross breed adjustment factors a well managed herd could crank out some kind of EPDs; but who would trust any EPDs cranked out by Brandon on his home computer??? I think keeping the sire's EPDs and presenting that too buyers might help SOME; but the numbers that buyers would really like to see is the feedlot performance of your last three calf crops. That requires feedlots and packers sharing data with the cow calf guy and I don't think we are seeing enough of that.

mwj":rqpz1zo5 said:
Would this solve all the percieved prob. with the carcas quality?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brandonm2":rd8l9zkx said:
I think commercial EPDs on feeder calves would be just about worthless. Assuming you knew what bull sired which calf (no easy task on a large range operation) you know what a purchased registered bull's EPDs are; but without reporting any of his progeny you have got NO accuracy. The dam side is even more complicated. You MIGHT know her sire's EPDs; but what about her dam's? A 200 cow commercial herd that were raised on the place ranging in age from 2-16 could EASILY have 8 or 9 different sires represented out there just in the cowherd. Using the cross breed adjustment factors a well managed herd could crank out some kind of EPDs; but who would trust any EPDs cranked out by Brandon on his home computer??? I think keeping the sire's EPDs and presenting that too buyers might help SOME; but the numbers that buyers would really like to see is the feedlot performance of your last three calf crops. That requires feedlots and packers sharing data with the cow calf guy and I don't think we are seeing enough of that.

If what you say is true why should you pay extra for a bull with EPD's :stop: If what you are saying is true with most operations they can not tell if the bull is any better than the one that just ''looks'' good :cboy:

mwj":8ls0poso said:
Brandonm2":8ls0poso said:

If what you say is true why should you pay extra for a bull with EPD's :stop: If what you are saying is true with most operations they can not tell if the bull is any better than the one that just ''looks'' good :cboy:

Obviously, any bull that you purchase should "look good". Reading the EPDs helps you to improve your herd in economically important traits.

The weaning wt. EPD helps you to pick the bull which will sire the bigger wt feeder calves. The birth wt EPD helps you select the bull that SHOULD have a higher percentage of calves born alive. IF you sell yearlings, the Yearling wt. EPD helps you select the bull who will sire the heavier stockers. The milk EPD hlps you to select the bull with better milking daughters. The scrotal circumference EPD is linked to daughter's fertility. The carcass EPDs help somebody who is selling their cattle on the rail.

Now for a herd to really tell whether a bull they have purchased is doing all that for them or not they need to know who sired which calf; which in a 200 cow herd would mean dividing the herd into ~6 breeding pastures (or aiing). Then they would need good record keeping. None of this is that difficult.

Obviously when talking with order buyers, ANY information is better than no information and the more information about your cows the better; but the idea that I would crunch EPDs for my commercial herd really seems far fetched. I am sure that there is some software cattle records company (kinda like PigChamp) that will crunch some sort of in herd EBVs and may even let you see where you rank versus their other customers. This shouldn't be too difficult

Latest posts