Sell as bull or meat? (photos)

Help Support CattleToday:

deaconcreek

Reaction score
This our herd bull that we will be selling this year. He is registered angus out of Sitz Alliance 6595. He has done a good job for us so far and we will be using him again this year and then switch to AI. I just wanted an opinion if he was worth selling as a herd bull to someone else, or if I should just for go the trouble and send him to slaughter? He will be three 12/25.

major_001.jpg

major_002.jpg

major_007.jpg

in an experienced bull, pictures mean very little. his calf crops mean more than any picture ever could.

did you AI to other bulls while using him for cleanup? was there anything wrong or questionable with the calves?

he still has a lot of life in him. do you have a reg # available?

i dont see any glaring faults in the picture which easily gets him past photo scrutiny. grade him on his calves.

All the calves averaged 79#. We run a very small herd of 6 cows, that's why we are going to AI. All the calves are gaining well and the steers look like little tanks. Heifers have nice feminine look to them. The bull has a good temperment, no problems, we just thought going to AI we could improve our herd better. We plan to keep all of his heifers. Here's a link to registery http://www.angus.org/common/epd_ped_dtl ... 4047584146

If you are satisfied with his performance.
For the difference in price in your pocket. I'd try to sell as a breeder in this order.
1.Private treaty with a lease back clause to use him as a clean-up bull.
2.At the sale barn after contacting them to let them know what he is and how he does.
3.At the sale barn in a replacement Bull/Cow sale.
4.At the sale barn.
With AI you will find yourself in need of a clean-up bull.

Other than the color I would use him as to catch my misses.

Yes if I want to keep them coming with in a reasonable time frame. I won't cull my cows just cause I can't settle her. Maybe she'll take first time next year.
And it takes alot of cows and many years to be able to get where you are at.
dun if I was the one poking your girls you'd need a clean-up bull. Unless you were willing to spread calving out year round.

Of course I was assuming too much here. deaconcreek may be able to achieve 100% conception with AI.
And I shouldn't do anything to discourage him.

dj":3fojggx8 said:
dun if I was the one poking your girls you'd need a clean-up bull.

When I have bunch to do you're welcome to come over and practice! Maybe your arms are longer and fingers are more nimble then mine so you cold get a good postioning on Kasey

dun

dj, I am only running 6 cows right now, and hubby works so I am home to AI when I see heat. I would like to sell him as a cleanup bull to someone, as he has been a good herd bull for us. As for my AI percentage we shall see, dairy farm close too me has been teaching me in trade for milking help. Beats paying for classes... Thanks for the ideas about selling the bull, if he doesn't make it as a bull he will surley make it for burger, I just want to get what I payed for him.

dun":1cfzwy51 said:
dj":1cfzwy51 said:
dun if I was the one poking your girls you'd need a clean-up bull.

When I have bunch to do you're welcome to come over and practice! Maybe your arms are longer and fingers are more nimble then mine so you cold get a good postioning on Kasey

dun

Should I bring McCue. She could handle him.

deaconcreek":1xooiwxt said:
dairy farm close too me has been teaching me in trade for milking help.
To be able to practice is invaluable.
Maybe you have the "feel" and can hit that 100%.
Good Luck with it and your bull sale.

Deacon,

Sounds like we have the same idea, You may know from other post, I plan to sell my bull also this year, after he covers the girls and go to AI next. I have Polled Herfs and plan to use a black bull as clean up. He would be what I would be looking for.

Do you want to load up bulls and meet in Colorado somewhere? :D

Alan

Alan":2n7lebkv said:
Do you want to load up bulls and meet in Colorado somewhere? :D

Alan
Not sure I want to drive that far, plus we're going to complete AI. But if you would like, I will hold him for ya, after he covers my ladies :)

glover36":2joaim33 said:
we run about 100 cows all ai'd dont use a clean up bull then again we calve all year round

and how many AI shots do your cows get?

Latest posts