Selecting Semen

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
The selection of semen for the AI tank is not as easy as doing the AI. I have 3 Angus Bulls and 4 simangus Bulls in my tank. When I discuss the selections I have made, I don't get a warm feeling that anyone is overly impressed with my bulls. Why is that? I selected some based on the EPDs in the catelog. Some I selected based on recommendations.

For example, I have two Black Angus Bulls, Top Hand and Composure, that still look good to me based on their EPDs.

I will breed my spring calving cows in June based on natural heats. I wonder what comments folks on here have. Any comment is fine. I don't get my feelings hurt over this kind of feedback. Here is my inventory:

Black Angus:
War Party
Top Hand
Composure

Simangus:
Grandmaster
Raisin Cane
Limestone Rimrock
In Force

What is your mission statement for your breeding program? That will make a big difference as to what bulls to select.

We dont AI, but, when we buy a registered angus we go by EPDs and how they look. But, we dont buy a pretty bull with EPD's we dont like...

redcowsrule33":3i9hjceb said:
What is your mission statement for your breeding program? That will make a big difference as to what bulls to select.
Yeah. Should have included that:
Currently, I sell feeder calves at the stockyards. I would like to produce some quality stock that I could occasionally market as seedstock. As I replace cows in my own herd, I want heifers that have good feet, udders, docile, calving ease, etc.

Herd size will probably max out at 20 brood cows. I want to stay with the simmental/angus breeds.

Raisin Cane is on my list of being one of the next to try, also have thought about using Rimrock before but haven't done so yet. Grandmaster has done well, can't think of a grandmaster calf I've seen that I didn't appreciate. Haven't seen much of In Force, but just doesn't appeal to me, but I have heard of others that are using him. I don't follow the angus bulls therefore I won't comment on any of them. Here we just mainly AI our heifers and let our bulls breed the cows. Although now I'm going to let my Packin Heat son take care of the heifers this next go around. Guess I'll still try to AI a little of something, still got a bit of Stetson left whom I really like but sometimes its nicer just to sit back and let the bulls get it done. Good Luck, Inyati with the future breeding decisions.

inyati13":295guhvr said:
redcowsrule33":295guhvr said:
Currently, I sell feeder calves at the stockyards. I would like to produce some quality stock that I could occasionally market as seedstock. As I replace cows in my own herd, I want heifers that have good feet, udders, docile, calving ease, etc.

Herd size will probably max out at 20 brood cows. I want to stay with the simmental/angus breeds.

In that case I would take Grandmaster off the list. His maternal CE is abysmal and he doesn't make up for it with growth so he isn't the best choice as a terminal sire.

Are you only using SS sires?

The war party calves I have seen I like a lot. They were sound phenotype and I like the epd package War party offers. I have not seen any composure or top hand calves yet. Are you breeding for purebred angus and sim or are you crossing the sim and angus?

Thanks to all for the help.

cowgirl8: this is limited to semen selection in which case you get a picture view of the bull. I look at the picture. I look at the EPDs and the narrative. For example, I liked War Party because the narrative specifically says he has excellent feet.

FlyingLSimmentals: My JF Milestone heifer, she is AI'd to In Force. Fire Sweep Ranch ran the EPDs on the cross. They are outstanding. He has good CE for heifers. I got Rasin Cane for the WW and YW. He brings Upgrade genes into my herd.

Redcowsrule: I plan to lean heavy toward AI. I enjoy the procedure. It keeps me busy doing something I like. I did recently get a Bull (Rocking P; 5/8 Simmental, 3/8 Angus; I just got his BSE on Thursday: Performed by Dr. Darin Stansfield. His scrotal circumference was 42 cm at 18 months old, Concentration of cells & motility was outstanding, anatomy of cells was 92 % plus, he passed every critera with flying colors. Darin did the work at my farm; oil emersion microscope on-site. I have heard stories of incomplete BSEs. I was able to watch every step.) Hey, you and Fire Sweep ranch should get into a mudslinging contest on Grandmaster. :lol: I said the same thing you did about Grandmaster when she recommended him to me but she will tell you all you have to do is see his progeny and you will forget his EPDs. Our UK county agent is in total agreement with FSR. They have PB simmentals and have used Grandmaster with excellent results in the show ring. BTW: he has those low CE numbers but everyone tells me he is not a calving ease problem. Let the fight begin.

Wildcat2154: I am breeding for the cross. Most of my cattle are registered simangus. I have one PB Simmental (a Flying B Cut Above). I plan to build the PB side of my herd with Simmentals.

Tistis: I like his EPDs.

inyati13":3vyunkds said:
Thanks to all for the help.

cowgirl8: this is limited to semen selection in which case you get a picture view of the bull. I look at the picture. I look at the EPDs and the narrative. For example, I liked War Party because the narrative specifically says he has excellent feet.

FlyingLSimmentals: My JF Milestone heifer, she is AI'd to In Force. Fire Sweep Ranch ran the EPDs on the cross. They are outstanding. He has good CE for heifers. I got Rasin Cane for the WW and YW. He brings Upgrade genes into my herd.

Redcowsrule: I plan to lean heavy toward AI. I enjoy the procedure. It keeps me busy doing something I like. I did recently get a Bull (Rocking P; 5/8 Simmental, 3/8 Angus; I just got his BSE on Thursday: Performed by Dr. Darin Stansfield. His scrotal circumference was 42 cm at 18 months old, Concentration of cells & motility was outstanding, anatomy of cells was 92 % plus, he passed every critera with flying colors. Darin did the work at my farm; oil emersion microscope on-site. I have heard stories of incomplete BSEs. I was able to watch every step.) Hey, you and Fire Sweep ranch should get into a mudslinging contest on Grandmaster. :lol: I said the same thing you did about Grandmaster when she recommended him to me but she will tell you all you have to do is see his progeny and you will forget his EPDs. Our UK county agent is in total agreement with FSR. They have PB simmentals and have used Grandmaster with excellent results in the show ring. BTW: he has those low CE numbers but everyone tells me he is not a calving ease problem. Let the fight begin.

Wildcat2154: I am breeding for the cross. Most of my cattle are registered simangus. I have one PB Simmental (a Flying B Cut Above). I plan to build the PB side of my herd with Simmentals.

Tistis: I like his EPDs.
sounds like your herd is the same direction as ours. Love the sim/angus cross... although ours arent registered.

The first heifer we showed was right when they started making solid red sims. She produced a lot of replacement heifers. The next one was a white face red. By the time we got out of sims and went into angus show heifers, the sims were then solid black. Our older cows are mostly sim, so they are all colors, but the younger ones are mostly sim angus are are all PB and produce PB depending on what bull they are on, polled none the less. We are in the market for a new bull, i'm thinking PB sim. We have two, one is homegrown, the other registered. How can you go wrong at the sale barn with a PB sim angus????

Of course you knew I would respond! But I can only comment on the simmental selection, since we do not use Angus sires because we are always trying to breed up to purebred status.
First, Grandmaster is considered a purebred, not simangus. And he is the only bull I have used on your list, so I can actually comment on his calves. As you well know Ron, I would use this bull in a heart beat, on a heifer, because that is what we use him on and have never touched a calf. Our calves average in the mid 70's out of him. Yes, they tend to be a little small at first, but seem to catch up their yearling year. For replacement females, we absolutely love him! Here is a great example of what most people I know see from him:
This is a heifer out of a first calf heifer that now weighs over 1200 pounds as a two year old. This picture was taken a few weeks ago, when she just turned two. She was 72 pounds at birth, was shown all the way to the national level, and WAS small in her class of contemporaries. But our birth dates are honest! Her dam was a Pacesetter (Shear Force) x Built Right.
grace1.jpg

Here she is just yesterday:
image49.jpg

image48.jpg

I came home from work and she had already calved this 70 pound LMF Movin Forward (ABS) heifer calf 3 days early! The calf was just as I found it, standing and sucking. Look at her udder, just gorgeous! IF my daughter wanted to show a pair, this would be one to consider because in order to be competitive in showing pairs a cow must 1) have a perfect udder and 2) be BIG!
So, yes, his EPD's are not impressive. We used him when they were good, or I would have not touched him. I am glad I did, and I will continue to use him. We have several Grandmaster calves that were born this spring, all out of first calf heifers two and under, all untouched. Everyone I know that has a female in production says the same thing; awesome mothers, great udders, great calves.
So, as I have said before Ron, if you want to keep females for replacement, he is the bull for me to use. Remember, EPD's are a tool in the tool box. For me, what I see and the proof that comes from that weighs more than an EPD.
Now, for the other bulls in your selection, I can only comment on pedigrees. Raisin Cain is sired by Upgrade, who really packs the pounds to his calves. For that aspect, I think you will be happy. I have two Upgrade females in my herd, and though I love them both (they are both half bloods, out of angus dams), BOTH have had problems returning to heat as nursing two year olds. One is due with her second calf next month, and we had to roll her from fall to spring, then run her with a bull for several cycles before she stuck. She would be on the first ride out, but she is my daughter's show heifer from two years ago so she got some slack. She better start performing from here out, or she will be gone. She raised one of the best bulls calves for us, weaned off super heavy and sold well, but time for her to be a cow now! I will be watching her closely this spring to see if she cycles back quicker (she took over 60 days to return to heat as a two year old). The second Upgrade I have in production is just two, but she calved the end of Feb and STILL has not cycled. She is the only two year old in my group that has not returned to heat in 40 days from her calving date. I am getting ready to pull her calf for 48 hours to see if that helps. My sample size is small with Upgrades, and I have not heard this issue with other breeders using him.
In Force is a Shear Force son. As always, Shear Force is a favorite around her for females (the female above has Shear Force in her -nice udders, great docility). He is more commercially orientated, but will work for you I think. He is a half blood, if I remember correctly.
I hope that helps somebody!

Fire Sweep Ranch":1ko8etxg said:
Of course you knew I would respond! But I can only comment on the simmental selection, since we do not use Angus sires because we are always trying to breed up to purebred status.
First, Grandmaster is considered a purebred, not simangus. And he is the only bull I have used on your list, so I can actually comment on his calves. As you well know Ron, I would use this bull in a heart beat, on a heifer, because that is what we use him on and have never touched a calf. Our calves average in the mid 70's out of him. Yes, they tend to be a little small at first, but seem to catch up their yearling year. For replacement females, we absolutely love him! Here is a great example of what most people I know see from him:
This is a heifer out of a first calf heifer that now weighs over 1200 pounds as a two year old. This picture was taken a few weeks ago, when she just turned two. She was 72 pounds at birth, was shown all the way to the national level, and WAS small in her class of contemporaries. But our birth dates are honest! Her dam was a Pacesetter (Shear Force) x Built Right.
grace1.jpg

Here she is just yesterday:
image49.jpg

image48.jpg

I came home from work and she had already calved this 70 pound LMF Movin Forward (ABS) heifer calf 3 days early! The calf was just as I found it, standing and sucking. Look at her udder, just gorgeous! IF my daughter wanted to show a pair, this would be one to consider because in order to be competitive in showing pairs a cow must 1) have a perfect udder and 2) be BIG!
So, yes, his EPD's are not impressive. We used him when they were good, or I would have not touched him. I am glad I did, and I will continue to use him. We have several Grandmaster calves that were born this spring, all out of first calf heifers two and under, all untouched. Everyone I know that has a female in production says the same thing; awesome mothers, great udders, great calves.
So, as I have said before Ron, if you want to keep females for replacement, he is the bull for me to use. Remember, EPD's are a tool in the tool box. For me, what I see and the proof that comes from that weighs more than an EPD.
Now, for the other bulls in your selection, I can only comment on pedigrees. Raisin Cain is sired by Upgrade, who really packs the pounds to his calves. For that aspect, I think you will be happy. I have two Upgrade females in my herd, and though I love them both (they are both half bloods, out of angus dams), BOTH have had problems returning to heat as nursing two year olds. One is due with her second calf next month, and we had to roll her from fall to spring, then run her with a bull for several cycles before she stuck. She would be on the first ride out, but she is my daughter's show heifer from two years ago so she got some slack. She better start performing from here out, or she will be gone. She raised one of the best bulls calves for us, weaned off super heavy and sold well, but time for her to be a cow now! I will be watching her closely this spring to see if she cycles back quicker (she took over 60 days to return to heat as a two year old). The second Upgrade I have in production is just two, but she calved the end of Feb and STILL has not cycled. She is the only two year old in my group that has not returned to heat in 40 days from her calving date. I am getting ready to pull her calf for 48 hours to see if that helps. My sample size is small with Upgrades, and I have not heard this issue with other breeders using him.
In Force is a Shear Force son. As always, Shear Force is a favorite around her for females (the female above has Shear Force in her -nice udders, great docility). He is more commercially orientated, but will work for you I think. He is a half blood, if I remember correctly.
I hope that helps somebody!

Whats up with that tailhead? yikes

inyati13":uqkhghbg said:
redcowsrule33":uqkhghbg said:

How does one do this with just picking pictures and numbers out of a doctored catalog?

How does one honestly market stock from a source without knowing the cows behind the hot sire? I mean personal knowledge. Have you seen the feet of all the cows on that ranch/farm? What is their feed protocol? How can one know a cow can be fertile naturally for 10+ years when she is pumped with flushing dope all the time? How can one expect the same results from different management?

How does one determine consistency from a crossbred breed?

I saw that too, AllForage.

FSR, I knew you would respond. I admire your passion and you are one smart Lady. Thanks. I hope I get to where you are before I cash in but If I don't it was a fun ride!

I was going to use Top Hand again on the heifers but waited too long. I can't get enough semen to do the whole herd. I must not be the only one who likes him as a heifer bull.

I know very little about simi's. That being said I talked to a producer just down the road from who says that he is part owner of Grandmaster and of course uses him heavily. I see his cattle and they are impressive. I heard they do well at the shows and they look like they do well in the pasture.

AllForage":yj4y180x said:
inyati13":yj4y180x said:
redcowsrule33":yj4y180x said:

How does one do this with just picking pictures and numbers out of a doctored catalog?

How does one honestly market stock from a source without knowing the cows behind the hot sire? I mean personal knowledge. Have you seen the feet of all the cows on that ranch/farm? What is their feed protocol? How can one know a cow can be fertile naturally for 10+ years when she is pumped with flushing dope all the time? How can one expect the same results from different management?

How does one determine consistency from a crossbred breed?

AllForage. Glad you are back. I enjoy your messages.

Your questions are "rhetorical". In other words, you are not asking questions to get a precise response but to raise an issue about a breeding practice that you find fault in. I understand the criticism contained in your questions and to a lesser degree, I agree with you. But AllForage, you have been here before and I doubt very much that anyone is going to change what they are doing based on your comments. Why? Because there are too many reasons for why people are doing things the way they are than you are acknowledging.

Issues of this nature require more dialog than any of us are willing to contribute on a forum. In its simplest form, the objective of breeding is to multiply animals. Mankind has already bred cattle for centuries to obtain the fundamental desirable characteristics. Now we are putting a fine point on it. We want to "stagnant" the genetic pool of the population to a degree that the frequency at which undesirable traits appear is reduced to the lowest tolerable levels, what ever that might be. For example, if your herd has achieved the form and function of udder you covet, you want to maintain that consistency by suppressing any other phenotype for udder in your herd. I acknowledge that concept.

But you are missing too many possibilities for what drives cattle markets and cattle breeding. Money is one of those. If you want to move to a monastery and live like Gregor Mendel, then more power to you. But approaching breeding in such a purest fashion is leaving a lot on the table.

I will give you this: your objective is the correct one. But I disagree that the guy who selects semen from sires in a catalog is as far behind you as you imply. The genetic pool that we call domestic cattle is already "stagnant" compared with the ancestors of domestic cattle. Mankind has bred cattle for several centuries to narrow down the genetic pool so he gets the traits he wants such as being docile, good milk producers, no horns, etc.

The breeder who uses semen from select sires also has to predicate his selection on his knowledge of the cows he intends to breed. The breeder selects semen based on the sire's track record in the progeny he has produced. In addition, the flexibility of bringing in traits not dominant in your population is available.

In the end, both are pursuing the same practice of breeding for desirable traits which is what has been going on for centuries. I think more credit is due those breeders like FSR who wisely employee semen from "outstanding" sires available in the market place to produce the traits that they covet just like you do.

From our past discussions feel free to use "stable" where I use "stagnant".

I have been absent for a few days due to our crappy weather and calving - 40F and days of constant, soaking rain is less than ideal for newborns. We pushed back our calving season this year in an attempt to avoid this. Oh well.

FSR has beautiful animals and I know that Grandmaster has worked well for them and many others. I agree that EPDs are but a tool. However, there are a few numbers I pay attention to and maternal calving ease is #1. He has well below average numbers on both sides for many generations, and at an accuracy of 0.9 has had plenty of time to disprove the notion of small pelvic size. The growth numbers do not bother me, but I will not knowingly use a bull that gives me a greater chance of calving problems due to the cow's inability to pass a larger calf. The Polar Vortex has blessed me with large calves this year (my Simmi bulls so far have averaged 97#, all different bulls, most low birthweight) and I work away from home, so the girls have to be able to pass those calves.

But that's the beauty of breeding, is it not? Different strokes for different folks. You breed for what works for you and the type you like.

Latest posts