Seeding cover crop mix into pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

MarkM

Reaction score
I would like to seed some cool season annuals into pasture to wean our lambs onto this fall.

Turnips, radish, triticale.

I read about it but I can't find the specifics of how you do it. Equipment, settings, can I mix them all together, etc. My county has a drill that I can rent.

Anywhere I can find a primer on "farming"?

turnips and radish do pretty fair just with broadcasting...small grains do better if drilled....
you can mix em...Check out the drill and see how many seed boxes it has....ours has three and so three different seed types can be planted simultaneously at different rates.

in our country (Virginia) it is not too early to plant radishes now....they have to have time to grow before cold weather....Two consecutive nights in the mid teens will pretty much terminate them....

I started overseeding paddocks this past weekend....I seed after rotational grazing....this weekend I had some residue so I broadcast my mix and then bush hogged the paddocks to cover the seed.

I would add a cool season legume to your mix.....crimson clover, or vetch, or winter peas.....they won't do much this fall or winter but will jump in the spring and put free nitrogen in the ground....

Make darn sure they are forage turnips and not regular. Neighbor got a real good buy on turnips, turned out to be regualr ones. Darn near destroyed the field, was nearly impossible to drive across or even walk without turning an ankle.

D&C I figured you would be asking about this. PDF and I were discussing what he had done.

Edit: BTW i like broadcast and lightly discing i know you were asking pdf just telling you my preference

Thanks guys.

Dun,

Noted. Although, I turn plenty of ankles now in the armadillo and mole holes.

pdf,

What seeder do you use? I have no idea what my county extension has available. If I wanted to purchase a seeder, should I look for used or new?

MarkM":3dqyi87q said:
If I wanted to purchase a seeder, should I look for used or new?

Depends on your wallet. I will buy used stuff in good condition ALL DAY long provided I get a great deal. I have a rule if lets say all the seeders that are used were 5k or 7k and a new one was 10k I will buy a new one. :2cents:

Latest posts