Scrap Metal

Help Support CattleToday:

Bullbuyer

Reaction score
Scrap metal is really high these days. Might want to check in your area - we've cleaned up several pieces of absolute junk and made a few dollars. If you figure the money you save taking it to the dump, the money the salvage yard gives you and the extra space you have - it's really a good deal. Plus, you can haul this stuff when it's too wet to do anything else.
(Everybody has a busted hay ring that's taking up space somewhere.)

Bullbuyer":9d9l0jq1 said:
Scrap metal is really high these days. Might want to check in your area - we've cleaned up several pieces of absolute junk and made a few dollars. If you figure the money you save taking it to the dump, the money the salvage yard gives you and the extra space you have - it's really a good deal. Plus, you can haul this stuff when it's too wet to do anything else.

How about an old square baler?

flaboy-":2ry9ydlf said:
Bullbuyer":2ry9ydlf said:

How about an old square baler?

Yep, them also....they put them in the car crusher!

I tell ya' though - if it's a popular model (or was a popular model) you might get a few dollars for the knotters, etc. Then take the rest and let them smash the snot out of it.

Last couple of farm sales I have attended the biggest buyer is a scrap yard. The way I figure it they are making a killing buying plows and bulk feeders for 25 dollars that weigh 700 plus.

My problem with this is; everytime I decide to clean up and get rid of junk a few days later i'm going to town to buy apeice of metal I threw away last week.
If I would have left it to rust away I would have never needed it.

Cal

Here they won;t take any kind of fuel tank or anything with a fuel tank in it. Unless you cut the tank into sheet metal chunks you take it home with you

dun

I have never had any problem with any fuel tank, just make sure that the lids are off and it is empyt, and they do like to see some holes in them .

they are paying 82$ a ton for shreder scrap (car bodies,tin and anything that is less that 1/8 thick) here in NE iowa. and if you have any copper now is the time to get it down the road it is at 1.88 per pund for #2 ( clean but tarnished)

I have been making around 250 a day most days around here. from what I have been hearing that the proces should stay good till early june.

Our copper price was around $2. We've had a hard time getting rid of those fuels tanks - even the busted ones. Any suggestion ? Don't really think a cuttin torch is the answer - could light ya' up.

for the fuel tanks around here all I do is either do some target pratice with the slug gun ( if I just emptyied them) or is they have been setting for a while empty with the lid off I have a firemans axe that I use to puncture a hole or 5 in them. then I just stuf them in a car body and get em down the road. but if they still will not take them I would suggest to make sure that they are empty and have been open for a while ( maks sure that they are dry on the inside) then throw them on the burn pile to burn them out, just don't stand around the fire. that is what I use to do before I found out that they will take them with holes in them.

and what I did to let them dry out ,I have an old chicken house out back that will not let any rain on them, but it wasent tight, there are window's missing so that they could get good air, and the fumes wouldn't build up

Bullbuyer":2dfsaxvb said:
I tell ya' though - if it's a popular model (or was a popular model) you might get a few dollars for the knotters, etc. Then take the rest and let them smash the snot out of it.

Yeah, it a pretty popular one. It's a NH 273. The knotters and needles are perfect. It's the sliders in the ram area that finally gave up. Come to think of it, I think I already have a set of spare knotters for it. I am looking at a NH 277. It old but works. I just bale enough squares for some horse hay. The rest are round.

whats really bad is were selling this scrap too china for them to turn around a make weapons too use againts us hate to be killed by a peice my old chevy. aleast by them anyway ;-)

if it makes you feel any better I do have 4 chinese built sks's that if it does come to the full war with china....................I am ahave tested at marksman 5 times in my life , I will just leave it at that

flaboy-":36e1pyji said:
Bullbuyer":36e1pyji said:

Yeah, it a pretty popular one. It's a NH 273. The knotters and needles are perfect. It's the sliders in the ram area that finally gave up. Come to think of it, I think I already have a set of spare knotters for it. I am looking at a NH 277. It old but works. I just bale enough squares for some horse hay. The rest are round.

We've got an old JD24T (?) square deal. I just can't seem to get it running right. I might junk it on the next run, hate to scrap that green equipment but don't need it setting around in the way.

Bullbuyer":320k6jqj said:
Our copper price was around $2. We've had a hard time getting rid of those fuels tanks - even the busted ones. Any suggestion ? Don't really think a cuttin torch is the answer - could light ya' up.

Just put an exhaust hose off a running Automobile into the tank for awhile before hand ..also while cutting :

For the heavy farm equipment they give "sheer" iron price, not sheet iron. Sheer iron pays much higher. Just make sure you separate it on your load. Sheet iron brings $125 ton, of course that is taking it to St. Louis. I'm not sure what Shapiro pays (located in Crystal City).

My cow mentor does this in the spring time and as far as the gas tanks.. all he does is punch a hole in it and drain the gas out. The aluminum and copper is separated out.

They won't tell you unless you ask them and once we found out what was condsidered sheer iron compared to sheet iron and how they needed it separated out those $300 checks quickly became $8-900 ones.

Believe it or not, thieves around here have taken to stealing the copper tubing out of commercial and even residential A/C condensers.. Pretty sh***y to destroy somebody's several thousand dollar condenser for $20 worth of copper, but that's a crook for ya. :mad:

That's the down side to it ! You really have to make sure the barn, shop, shed, everything is locked up tight. Between rustlers stealing calves and people stealing metal, you gotta be careful.

Latest posts